Newbie to Grapes -changing pH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knockabout

Reaction score
Oops meant changing Specific gravity. sorry
Hello,
This is our first go around with grapes and I'm confused. we have 3 lugs each of cab, zin and syrah. Started fermentation last Sunday. and it is rolling along well. But something weird has now happened twice. Ous specific gravity has gone up instead of down on 2 separate occasions. I am checking SG after pushing down the cap and breaking it up really well, I have no off odors. I had my grapes run through the crusher/destemmer at George's and noticed that perhaps more of the grapes weren't crushed compared to when I volunteered in a commercial winery at Crush. -Not sure if grapes that hadn't been crushed at that time could be opening up and adding sugar to the must?

I've done about 3 dozen kits and have no problem with the hydrometer :) Any thoughts?
All help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Kim

Last edited:
It changed from 1.002 to 1.010.
I'm measuring sg I my giant test tube doesn't seem like more CO2 than I've seen in the past.

well Darn -So if they're dropping more sugar into my must. MY ABV calculation will be off unless I add that in there?
thanks Guys!

They are adding sugar, but they also add volume, so there shouldn't be any net change to your ABV calculation.

Latest posts

Back