Other Newbie Racking Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcourcy

Junior
Reaction score
I purchased a 1 gallon Craft-a-Brew wine making kit (1st time ever making wine). Followed all directions, fermenting went great for the two weeks. 2 days ago, I racked, degassed and added stabilizers & clarifying agents ( Potassium Metabusulphite, Potassium Sorbate & Chitosan). Unfortunately, it looks like I sucked up some of the sediment off the bottom during racking (rookie mistake - see picture). Now, I have a couple of questions; should I rack again, if so how long should I wait? Will it change the wine if I use a 1 micron sumpsock to filter the wine or should I not since I already added clarifier?

Attachments

• 051620 post racking clarifying.jpg
    051620 post racking clarifying.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 21
Welcome to WMT!

The good news is that the sediment will settle out again pretty easily. In fact, it looks like it pretty much has! Further good news is that I do not believe that your sediment (lees) are anything bad -- probably mostly dead yeast.

If it were my wine, I would rack it again. Don't get too close to the sediment. Then dump the lees and remaining wine into a Mason jar and put it in the fridge overnight. Next day, you can easily pour the clear liquid off the lees. Then top up your gallon jug with a commercial wine similar to that of your kit.

I wouldn't bother with that sumpsock, personally.

Similar to the previous post, I'd rack again and continue as planned. Beyond that, I see no urgency to act. If you prefer to wait an extra few days there's no harm.

Thanks for the responses. I racked it again, looks better already. I saved the lees and juice in the fridge to add back in.

Hi ,let it settled out ,can you put in in a refrigerator, in a week or two the Lee's will compact and believe it or not the flavor will be just fine.
I've made several 1 gallon kits there fun to play with.

Latest posts

Back