Newbie question about RJS Cru Select Italian Rosso

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sent an email to RJS asking about what the Super Tuscan kit I bought was composed of and heard crickets.

RJS says its Super Tuscan is a blend of Chianti with Bordeaux. That doesn't say much, though, because Chianti can be 75–100% Sangiovese, up to 10% Canaiolo and up to 20% of any other approved red grape variety.

RJS says its Super Tuscan is a blend of Chianti with Bordeaux. That doesn't say much, though, because Chianti can be 75–100% Sangiovese, up to 10% Canaiolo and up to 20% of any other approved red grape variety.
Yes about the Chianti, it can also be a blend of Sangiovese and Cabernet and/or Merlot. Bordeaux can be a blend of cabernet and Merlot

RJS responded to my query!
Per RJS:

Rosso Grande is a blend of several grapes Primitivo, Cab Sauv, Merlot and Teroldego

Wondering from those that have made both - how RJS Rosso Grande vs RJS Super Tuscan compare?

Wondering from those that have made both - how RJS Rosso Grande vs RJS Super Tuscan compare?
The RJS super tuscan en primeur kit included grape skins, my RJS Rosso Grande was just juice. The super tuscan is quite tasty. I made it as per directions, though I should have left it in the carboy longer to degas. I’m taking my time with the Rosso Grande, I made it in January and it is still in a carboy. The Rosso Grande tasted good at first racking. Being a year younger, its hard for me to compare the two, but I’d say the Super Tuscan is heartier, less dry.

The RJS super tuscan en primeur kit included grape skins, my RJS Rosso Grande was just juice. The super tuscan is quite tasty. I made it as per directions, though I should have left it in the carboy longer to degas. I’m taking my time with the Rosso Grande, I made it in January and it is still in a carboy. The Rosso Grande tasted good at first racking. Being a year younger, its hard for me to compare the two, but I’d say the Super Tuscan is heartier, less dry.
Any updates on ur Rosso Grande?

I bottled it on 9/21, so almost 9 months after starting. I’ve only had one bottle since, but I thought it was pretty good. I did concentrate on degassing this time and it paid off. For the price, I think this kit is a good value. If my calculation is correct, it came out to be almost 14.5% alcohol, so it was higher than the Super Tuscan (13.5%). I can’t remember if oak came with the kit, but I see from my notes that I added med toast Amer Oak chips at the start.

Back