newbie question about filtering

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gtrspctr

What is a good way to filter out all the yeast/particles from my wine.
I tried pouring it through a towel (clean, of course), and then through three different coffee strainers. There is still a bunch of stuff in the wine.
I just want to get it all out so in the future there won't be a thick layer of muck on the bottom.
Any help, anyone?

The best way to get the muck (lees) out of your wine is to rack it off of it.

1st dont pour it thru a towel. That will introduce oxygen which is bad for wine.
In short get a wine filter. There are many on the market. I use the Buon Vino Mini Jet. Filters only will work if its mostly clear.
The cheapest is time. Keep racking every 3 weeks. Wine can not be rushed. Another option is to add clearing agents which will clear in a week or two. Don't forget to add the k-meta.
What are you making?

Stop, filters are for polishing wine not for clearing a wne! You can improve the wine a little but only time or a fining agent will do what you are trying to do.

Welcome to the forums. As others have said, time is the best filter. If you don't have time there are a few options out there. You have the Mini Jet Tom suggested. Thats what I use. There are a few gravity filters that are much cheaper but take forever to use. Each have their merits and pitfalls.

It sounds like you need to let your wine set a bit longer if you have noticeable particulates, particularly after straining through a towel. Filtering will eliminate this if the wine was ready to filter. You do not want to filter a cloudy wine. Filtering is essentially a way to eliminate the gunk you might stir up off the bottom of the carboy when you rack it off to bottle. It will polish the wine. It will not make a cloudy wine clear. I used to filter all of my wines. I now only filter the whites or blush wines.

gtrspctr,

LUC, ahh the magic word.

In wine making there are the 3 "P's" we must have making wine.
Patience
Patience
Patience

Last edited:
The problem with YOUR 3 P's is:
TWO ARE EMPTY ! :h

Latest posts

Back