newbie needing urgent advice.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, we are over 2 months in now. I have racked once into new carboy. I did end up pitching the EC 1118 and SG got down to 1.020, and I was thinking things were good and could remove the heat and ferment stalled again. Has been at 1.020 for 2 weeks. So I reintroduced heat but a little less this time and wow things took off. My airlock is bubbling even more more than ever. It looks like carbonated soda in there. I'm about to rack for the second time and test SG today. I m excited for the results. One question I have is that there are chunks of yeast culture floating around on top. They did settle when ferment was stuck, then have been pushed back up dye to all the bubbling going on in there. I'm assuming there is so much of it because I used twice the amount of yeast you r supposed to. Anyway, that is normal isn't it? Nothing I should b worried about? I tried to take a pic and I'll post it here. Not a very good one though, I'm afraid.

1478990993516.jpg

Yeast won't be in chunks like that. It just looks like bleached out berries and a normal cap to me. Are you sure you strained out all of the berries?

Have you checked pH? I'm betting the pH is part of the reason your ferment is so hit and miss. It would be really unusual to have to add acid to a blackberry wine.

Latest posts

Back