Newbie Just Starting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthompson

Reaction score
Hi all, and thanks for taking time to read this.

I want to jump right in and start making wines. The first question I suppose is about equipment. I'll be making from kits, and least to start. Any recommendations on equipment kits? I've done some research, so I should mention I will be doing 30 bottles at a time, no immediate plans to have several batches going at once. I would like to grow out of the kits and experiament at a later time, if that's a factor. Thanks in advance!

Well bthompson WELCOME to the group!
If you do not have a local source here is a place we reccomend. He also has starter kita available.
http://www.finevinewines.com/
George has the biggest selection. I would suggest something you like. Aslo, depending on your budget try the higher end kits. In winemaking "you get what you pay for"
If you have a good wine pallet the higher end for sure.
Depending on what part of the world you are from California juice is in this month. Something to consider now or later.

Thanks, Tom. I live about 20 miles from his shop, so that's perfect. What do you see as the benefits of upgrades from the Basic, Beginner, and Deluxe? I don't mind spending the money, but my guess is I will be doing a batch or 2 per year.

Welcome. I second that fine vine wines site and am actually a mod on that forum also. Check out his site and register as you get a 10% discount for the first purchase and a gift certificate every year for your birthday if you join the birthday club. After all that once you spend a certain amount youll start getting a growers discount on every purchase for helping his business grow. Hell help you choose exactly what you need as far as wines and equipment.

Thanks, Tom. I live about 20 miles from his shop, so that's perfect. What do you see as the benefits of upgrades from the Basic, Beginner, and Deluxe? I don't mind spending the money, but my guess is I will be doing a batch or 2 per year.
Spend the extra $ on the deluxe. It is well worth it and you will need all of it and them some when you become OBSESSED

BTW.
Once you start making wine you will make MORE that 2 batch's a year.

Fly fishing, sailing, golf....jeesh, I have a problem.

not a problem lol

.. after all

you have a drink at the clubhouse after golf
beer and fishing are always in vogue
champagne is the perfect tipple when sailing..

you're just co-ordinating your obsessions.

Allie

not a problem lol

.. after all

you have a drink at the clubhouse after golf
beer and fishing are always in vogue
champagne is the perfect tipple when sailing..

you're just co-ordinating your obsessions.

Allie

Absolute genius!

bthompson>> a batch or two a year

Yeah, I thought that too ... even though I'm new at this, I have three different kits aging in carboys, with two other kits waiting in the wings .... for a total of five ... and I find myself longingly looking at websites for my next kit.

I'm in the US and I think the kits are cheaper in Canada ... so I'm thinking "road trip" and wondering how many kits I would have to buy to pay for the trip ... and wonder what US CUSTOMS would think if I bring 10 or 12 kits across.

>>a batch or two a year

I'll bet you'll be drinking that statement in a couple of months.

cbw:

Where do you live that a road trip to Canada is reasonable? If you're going into BC or Ontario, a lot of retailers are small size FoPs that don't carry much stock and some don't seem to like home wine makers.

Steve

bt,

hey there! I am a newbie as well and have about 2.5 weeks until I can drink my first bottle!

Actually our first drinks are not going to be bottled...my girl and I discussed it already. We are either going to just dump a bunch of wine in a bucket and get sideways or put two rubber tubes into the carboy and suck on them for 2 hours.

We haven't decided which route yet....we are just excited it won't be vinegar we are drinking :r:r:r:r:r:r

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

heheheh

---oh and if this batch turns out nicely, I can't imagine the wine rack I am going to have to build to handle the wine that this newbie is gonna pump out....

Thanks all for all the help and good luck bt!

Last edited:
Back