Newbie In Illinois

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Shumate

Junior
Reaction score
Hello fellow wine makers. I'm the new kid on the block although I've been making wine since 1985. It's been a long strange but very rewarding trip to say the least. I'll try to be brief on how I got started. I was doing remodeling and met a little Italian guy that made homemade wine and couldn't believe how good it was so he got me started. I didn't realize that grapes needed to be crushed before you press them and tried to make a homemade press with a 10 ton hydraulic press and a bunch of wood with holes drilled in the bottom for the juice to come out but all I did was blow the wood apart. Louie wised me up and the next year I had a Crusher. Anyway it's been a fun time and we've had some very good years with some very excellent Cabernet and unfortunately some bad years where I had to dump everything down the drain. Regardless I would never think of giving up on making wine. Happy trails to all.

Hello fellow wine makers. I'm the new kid on the block although I've been making wine since 1985. It's been a long strange but very rewarding trip to say the least. I'll try to be brief on how I got started. I was doing remodeling and met a little Italian guy that made homemade wine and couldn't believe how good it was so he got me started. I didn't realize that grapes needed to be crushed before you press them and tried to make a homemade press with a 10 ton hydraulic press and a bunch of wood with holes drilled in the bottom for the juice to come out but all I did was blow the wood apart. Louie wised me up and the next year I had a Crusher. Anyway it's been a fun time and we've had some very good years with some very excellent Cabernet and unfortunately some bad years where I had to dump everything down the drain. Regardless I would never think of giving up on making wine. Happy trails to all.

Where about in Illinois ? I am from Kane County

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back