newbie here

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodahman

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

This is my first post and I just want to say hi to everybody. I stumbled across this site as I was doing a google search on which yeast would be best to ferment some fresh muscadine juice, the L1118 or L1122.

I have used them both but can't remember which I used for Reds and which for Whites.

Heading over to WalMart today to get some of those berries to make a batch of yall's dragon blood. Looks like a good recipe. Never made a fruit wine but looking forward to it.

Cheers.
dodahman

Hello!

I must admit I never had a desire to make fruit wine but this place has me doing some Dragons Blood too! (I am racking off the gross lees tonight)

Welcome to the boards and let us know how your DDDB comes out!

Tim

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, go for the DB. Made about nine or so kits wines before working up the courage to try the DB recipe. Now have 4 DB batches under my belt with the last one a peach variation. Matter of fact will likely be starting my fifth batch this coming Monday. Really decent, inexpensive and quick wine to make. Go for it!

I have 6 gallons of frozen muscadine juice thawing out in my garage, probably will take another week to thaw so I had better find some peptic enzyme. I noticed that those of you making fruit wine use it. Supposed to help clarifying. How much did you use and what yeast do you like?

I have 6 gallons of frozen muscadine juice thawing out in my garage, probably will take another week to thaw so I had better find some peptic enzyme. I noticed that those of you making fruit wine use it. Supposed to help clarifying. How much did you use and what yeast do you like?
On all of it I have bought, it gives you directions on the container. Welcome to the forum. Arne.

dodahman,

Hello and welcome!! This is a great place to get any info you need. The folks here are very helpful and the information you can find here is some of the best!
Expermintation is the key.

Beano Joe

Hi there!
welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of great help here from very knowledgeable wine makers. I am still a newbie but I am getting better because the people here are willing to help you with any question(s) you may have.

Corinth:r

Welcome to the forum, as far as pectic enzyme I just follow the directions on the bottle and use the recommended amount per gallon. I have used Red Star Montrachet with my muscadine with great success.

. . . from the lyrical "truckin"

Truckin - got my chips cashed in
KEEP TRUCKIN LIKE THE DODAHMAN
together, more or less in line just keep truckin on . . .

Well, I have an interesting variation going on. The 6 gallons of muscadine juice was very low in brixx and during my search for the 3 berry mix, I discovered Costcos brand of triple berry in 4lb bags. I bought two of those bags, macerated them and included them into the muscadine musk. Got some great color and texture. Added some tartaric acid but had to add 8lbs of sugar to get to 23 brixx. In total, I ought to finish out to 7 gallons at about 12%.

I am very pleased with the Costco brand and I think each bag is $11. Plus you get around extra over the other brand.

Latest posts

Back