Newbie help: waxy something coming off corks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KellyF

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there...I was working on doing my first bottling. The place that set up my first kit gave me a bunch of loose corks in a paper bag. I've read that probably isn't the best...but that aside for a moment. I am wondering what type of cork they are. I went to use hot water to rinse them off before sanitizing and something was stick to sides of the metal bowl I'm using. Like wax? glue? Does anyone know what this is and can I use these? If so, how do I prepare them?

Not sure what it is, but I suggest that you do not use them. Bad corks are a sure way to spoil a batch of wine.

If they are agglomerated corks, that is, made up of ground cork mixed with a binder and formed into shape, it could be the binder breaking down. I would not use any corks that come loose in a paper bag. Corks range in price from about 10 to 25 cents depending on how long you intend to keep the wine. I recommend that you use #9 by 1.75" corks.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your help...you're right..not worth it. I'll have to order some corks it seems.

You done right by not using them. Way too much a risk, at this point in time you’ve probably a lot of time invested.

Back