Newbie help appreciated

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbouk

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all
I am about to embark on my first try at winemaking and would appreciate advice as to equipment required.
The plan is to start with a 30 bottle box kit and see how it goes.
Equipment-wise i think i require the following, 2 x fermentation vessels, hydrometer and trial jar , airlocks and bungs, sanitiser and some for of syphon when required.along with bottles. Please feel free to advise on any other items you feel i may require

Is there any benefit to using the Wide Neck Fermentation Vessels over the standard 25l buckets?

Any other advice would be greatly received

Cheers

Jim

A quick Craigslist or Marketplace search might find you all the starting equipment you will need. You have a good handle on what you need just don't forget a 6 gallon carboy for your secondary. The wide mouth is fine and instead of 2 25 liter buckets I would get a 7.9 gallon fermentation bucket. It allows more space for foaming. Don't forget a corker.

@jimbouk - as an alternative, consider getting a FastFerment 7.9g conical as they are super easy to use. Pour all contents in the fermenter, mix and put the lid on, under lock. If using a kit with skins or oak chips, or oak dust I highly recommend using a muslin bag. The collection ball has a 1” opening that WILL clog if you don’t use a bag. In fact, I don’t use oak dust at all (I do use the chips, however) choosing to oak post ferment.

Moving to secondary is a easy. Remove the collection ball, attach the hose and drain into a carboy.

If you choose this route, I’ll resource and help you as often as you ask.

@jimbouk - as an alternative, consider getting a FastFerment 7.9g conical as they are super easy to use. Pour all contents in the fermenter, mix and put the lid on, under lock. If using a kit with skins or oak chips, or oak dust I highly recommend using a muslin bag. The collection ball has a 1” opening that WILL clog if you don’t use a bag. In fact, I don’t use oak dust at all (I do use the chips, however) choosing to oak post ferment.

Moving to secondary is a easy. Remove the collection ball, attach the hose and drain into a carboy.

If you choose this route, I’ll resource and help you as often as you ask.

Hi there. I’m using a fastferment with a ‘Kenridge Trilogy’ 30 bottle kit. I’ve followed a guide for FF vessels which are different from the original instructions. Where I am at the moment with it is on day 11, SG 1097 and it’s now 994. I hung the oak chips in a hop bag and am looking at leaving till day 14 (as per instructions). The guide said day 21?? My next instruction is to degas and stabilise. I shall do this on Saturday (day 14). I made a CC Merlot and there is a slight sulphur taste to it. That has been in the bottle for a month or so. My worry is that the wine in the FF is smelling quite similar to my bottles Merlot. Have I done something wrong? Will degassing and sulphite additions sort this? I’m in trouble if this kit fails too. Any help would be appreciated. I did make a CC Pinot Grigio and that turned out amazing. Just struggling with the reds.

Hi there. I’m using a fastferment with a ‘Kenridge Trilogy’ 30 bottle kit. I’ve followed a guide for FF vessels which are different from the original instructions. Where I am at the moment with it is on day 11, SG 1097 and it’s now 994. I hung the oak chips in a hop bag and am looking at leaving till day 14 (as per instructions). The guide said day 21?? My next instruction is to degas and stabilise. I shall do this on Saturday (day 14). I made a CC Merlot and there is a slight sulphur taste to it. That has been in the bottle for a month or so. My worry is that the wine in the FF is smelling quite similar to my bottles Merlot. Have I done something wrong? Will degassing and sulphite additions sort this? I’m in trouble if this kit fails too. Any help would be appreciated. I did make a CC Pinot Grigio and that turned out amazing. Just struggling with the reds.

Sounds like you’re following time instruction instead of SG instructions. Your SG should be your guide for all of your activities until AF has completed, then we can talk about the wine in time units. When SG is below .997 and unchanged for three days running, AF is over, and it’s time to get rid of gross lees, degas, add sulfite, etc. Waiting another week on stinky dead yeast isn’t what I’d want to do.
Dont know the FF system, so I don’t know when you’ve been removing lees, sediment, etc. Perhaps someone who uses the FF system can chime in.

Great, thanks for that. I’ve just emptied the lees from the collection bottle and refilled. I will check the SG one more time and then add the chemicals and degas. Thanks again

Added the sorbate/sulphite and Kieselsol and degassed but didn’t produce any where near as much gas as usual. Probably because I should have done it a few day ago?

Added the sorbate/sulphite and Kieselsol and degassed but didn’t produce any where near as much gas as usual. Probably because I should have done it a few day ago?

I actually own 9 FF conicals. PM your number and the best time to call and I’ll call you. This will be more efficient than the forum in your particular case.

Latest posts

Back