Newbie from Richmond, VA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajk170

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Well, I finally decided to try my hand at the home wine craft! Sine the wife and I love wine and home brewing is one of the hobbies, it just seems like it would be an easy transition into the wine making arena. Not that it's easy, just that I'm familiar with a lot of the processes. I'm sure as I go along, I will have a lot of questions and look forward to sharing the experiances with all of you!

Welcome to a great forum. Please ask away. Have you made any wine yet? Anything on the radar?

I know there is a wine club in your area and you may want to look into that as well. (PM me for that info)

Welcome 170 and glad to have aboard. Feel free to ask any questions you need to.

Hi and welcome.
When do you think you will be starting? What will you start with?

Hey WhyTheFace, I'm in the 804 and just started my first batch this month. Have you made it over to Original Gravity yet? They just opened in Nov.

Hey WhyTheFace, I'm in the 804 and just started my first batch this month. Have you made it over to Original Gravity yet? They just opened in Nov.
Kojak - hello!
Where is the original gravity?
How's your first batch going?
WTF

Hey, first batch is going good so far. I'm going to bottle next week. I'm starting a new WE Select Int Malbec/Shiraz this week.

Original Gravity just opened in Nov. in Lakeside (6920 Lakeside Ave. Richmond VA 23228) They've been helpful and ordered this last kit for me. They know more about brewing beer but have a lot of wine stuff too.

Kojack I will tell you one thing about kits. Please be patient and let them age. They say you can drink them in 6 weeks or so but I think you will be dissapointed if you do. Give them at least 6 months but I find I don't even open the first bottle until 9 months and at about a year they start to come into their own and smooth out.

Hey Brian, ya, I was figuring on the six months. I'm going to try and hold some for a year just cause I'd like to see the difference but that's going to be hard. =) I'll have to find something I can make and drink before then to keep me busy.

Congratulations for that. I am also a beginner in this forum. And looking forward to hear and share experiences with the people here. I'm sure a lot of helping hand will be here for us !

Thank you!

No I havent - looks like a great day for that today. How is your batch going?
I am about to re-rack my first batch - maybe a little sampling along the way!!

WTF

No I havent - looks like a great day for that today. How is your batch going?
I am about to re-rack my first batch - maybe a little sampling along the way!!

WTF

Just racked my WE Shiraz/Malbec to add the meta, sorbate, clearing and extra oak. Gotta say this looks better then the first one I did (Grand Cru International Malbec) in every way. Not sure what happened to that one. It's bottled so we'll see what happens but this one looks way better. It'll be hard to wait 6-12 to drink.

Other than that I've been experimenting with the SP. Got one clearing and one in the bucket...in a tub...of warm water...trying to get the yeast going. Ha!:h

Latest posts

Back