Newbie from NY here!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhineMaker

Addicted Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

Been brewing my own beer for a while, and got tired of my wife whining that she doesn't like beer :D, so I went out and got myself some more equipment to be able to make her some wine!!:) I really enjoy wine myself, and hopefully some of my beer brewing experience will help me. I found this forum and am impressed by the amount of knowledge here!! I started my first batch yesterday(Cabernet Sauvignon) and am looking forward to tipping that first glass!!

Fellow New Yorker

Welcome! What part of New York are you from good sir? I'm actually from the Albany area. I started last year with brewing of hard cider and wine. I'm looking to get into beer myself

Welcome! What part of New York are you from good sir? I'm actually from the Albany area. I started last year with brewing of hard cider and wine. I'm looking to get into beer myself

I live in Colonie, but grew up in Scotia.. Get most of my stuff from Hammersmith in Latham... BHBL graduate 1985.

Cheers!!

These Mosti kits are very good for their size and the best of thier size IMO!

When you said you were from upstate NY, I thought you might be one of us frozen brains :eek: up on the St. Lawrence.

Good luck with your wine making:D

When you said you were from upstate NY, I thought you might be one of us frozen brains :eek: up on the St. Lawrence.

Good luck with your wine making:D

And I thought it was cold here!! Have you seen this stuff by Jeff Foxworthy? Had it sent to me the other day.. Enjoy!

"Jeff Foxworthy on Upstate New York ,"
---------------------------------------------

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through
36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will
swim by, you might live in Upstate New York.

If you're proud that your region makes the national news 96 nights a
year because Saranac Lake is the coldest spot in the nation,
and Syracuse gets more snow than any other major city in the US , you
might live in Upstate, NY.

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from October through May, you
might live in Upstate New York

If you instinctively walk like a penguin for six months out of the
year, you might live, bundled up, in Upstate New York.

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance, and they
don't work there, you might live in Upstate NY.

If your dad's suntan stops at a line curving around the middle of
his forehead, you might live in Upstate New York.

If you have worn shorts and a parka on the same day, you might live
in Upstate New York .

If you have had a lengthy phone conversation with someone who dialed
a wrong number, you might live in Upstate New York.

YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRUE UPSTATE NEW YORKER WHEN:

"Vacation" means going South past Syracuse for the weekend.

You measure distance in hours.

You know several people who have hit a deer more than once.

You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again.

You can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging
blizzard, without flinching.

You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both
unlocked.

You carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend/wife knows
how to use them.

You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with
snow.

You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road
construction.

You can identify a southern or eastern accent.

Down South to you means Corning .

Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his new shed !

You go out for a fish fry every Friday.

Your 4th of July picnic was moved indoors due to frost.

You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.

You find 10 degrees "a little chilly."

You actually understand these jokes, and post them for all
your Upstate New York friends and to those who used to live here and
left. --(chickens!)

Welcome WhineMaker. I also started with beer... and still make a lot of it. :D

The hardest part of winemaking compared to brewing for me was the waiting. Also, it was a bit tough getting used to how much easier winemaking is (from wine kits, anyway). I kept thinking that it couldn't be THAT easy... there must be something to mill or boil or something! LOL

Oh... I almost forgot. Don't give up on your wife regarding beer yet. Maybe you haven't tried a style she enjoys yet. I have found it surprising how few people really don't like beer when presented with a few different types to try. My wife didn't really like beer at first, either... then I realized that it's just the really hoppy beers she doesn't like. She loves mild brown ales, milk stouts, porters, some belgian beers, etc...

Oh... I almost forgot. Don't give up on your wife regarding beer yet. Maybe you haven't tried a style she enjoys yet. I have found it surprising how few people really don't like beer when presented with a few different types to try. My wife didn't really like beer at first, either... then I realized that it's just the really hoppy beers she doesn't like. She loves mild brown ales, milk stouts, porters, some belgian beers, etc...

I did make one beer she liked.. A Strawberry Wheat beer.. Made it last year for valentines day.. This year I have an Irish Stout clone brewing and since she doesn't mind Guinness, I think she may like this one.. Just bottled last saturday so it should be drinkable by St Pattys day.. I prefer the more hoppy stuff myself and have been hooked on IPA's..

I understand what you mean about wine making.. Although very fulfilling for me so far(nice smells coming from the must), left me somewhat empty after my first batch!! No steeping, watching boil temps and times, etc... I am hoping for the best out of my first batch, and since I have been a long time sanitizing freek(more than 1 batch ruined by infections that could have been avoided) I have next to nothing to worry about on that side of things..

Cheers:D

If she doesn't mind Guinness and likes sweeter beers like the strawberry wheat beer... try making a milk stout sometime. It's got the great roasted flavor of a stout with a bit of residual sweetness from the lactose (milk sugar). My wife likes this stout a lot. It won't have the hoppiness you like, but that's why you brew more than one beer, right? :D

How cold is is again in upstate NY? Have to show you this so you will feel a lttle warmer! This was around x-mas time. Loved the Jeff Foxworthy thing, I could change a few words and relate totally

Troy

Frozen Cops.jpg

How cold is is again in upstate NY? Have to show you this so you will feel a lttle warmer! This was around x-mas time. Loved the Jeff Foxworthy thing, I could change a few words and relate totally

Troy

Ouch!!! 2 Years ago the windchill here was -25 and they cancelled school!! -65!! Yikes:eek:

Feel warmer now Whine?:) We make up for it in the summer, it actuall gets warm and it doesn't get dark.
Troy

Making wie from grapes isnt easy though as you have to gather up all the grapes, run them through a crusher/destemmer and then ferment, then you have to press them. Then you have a lot of rackings after that. You could consider doing a wine kit to a no boil beer kit, that is the same as making a wine exept again for the waiting part.

Making wie from grapes isnt easy though as you have to gather up all the grapes, run them through a crusher/destemmer and then ferment, then you have to press them. Then you have a lot of rackings after that. You could consider doing a wine kit to a no boil beer kit, that is the same as making a wine exept again for the waiting part.

Good point... except that the wine kits are supposed to make good wine, which can't really be said for the no-boil beer kits.

I'm looking forward to making wine from grapes sometime in the future. Really, the daunting part of that is getting the grapes. It seems like it'll be a lot more trouble than buying some grain from the shop.

Latest posts

Back