Newbie from Iowa

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynn Z

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son bought we a wine kit, plus equipment, etc. for Christmas which I just started May 31st. I was getting ready to bottle the wine after I washed and sanitized everything and then had yet another question about winemaking--went down the rabbit hole as one question led to another and came across this forum. Found a thread where a member started the exact same wine kit that I have and he was asking questions about clearing and when to bottle, etc. The answers to his question changed my mind as to when I'll now bottle and I understand the process better. I've made many Internet searches and since there are so many differing opinions on how, when, and why I was getting a little stressed about possibly ruining my first batch of wine. I'm feeling more confident and realize that I not only need to be patient, but I need to chill out and don't stress. :cool: Thanks to all in this wonderful forum!

Welcome to WMT!
I agree, this is a wonderful site!
After 8 months I still consider myself a newbie. Seems like every time I learn something it leads to something else I want to learn.
I thought winemaking was going to be very regimented using a wine kit, sort of like using a cake mix, but after reading through different threads, I see I can get a little creative. Although, until I understand the process better, I like to use the established instructions.

@Lychyo, welcome to WMT!

One of the most difficult thing for beginners to understand is that most things in winemaking have more than 1 valid answer. Bob, Dave, Chuck and I can each give you a different answer, and all of us can be correct. I suggest you pay attention to "why" we do what we do, and make your decisions based upon that.

Something to note -- kit instructions are optimized for beginners who have no experienced help. If you follow the instructions, you will get a good result.

I suggest you browse the Beginners and Kit forums, reading threads that catch your interest. The search feature is good, if you can figure out the keywords to use. Ask questions if you are uncertain -- this forum is beginner friendly and we expect you to start new threads to address your questions.

I started out making fruit wines from my own fruit. Glad I found this site. Taught me all the important stuff especially patience (which I still struggle with) I recently helped my daughter start a kit wine and I have to admit the instruction in that kit would lead a person to believe you could ferment your must for 7-8 days then age in secondary for 2 weeks then bottle.

im at the point now where I would never consider bottling at one month from kit or scratch.

you don’t make wine on your schedule, you make it on the wines timetable.

My son bought we a wine kit, plus equipment, etc. for Christmas which I just started May 31st. I was getting ready to bottle the wine after I washed and sanitized everything and then had yet another question about winemaking--went down the rabbit hole as one question led to another and came across this forum. Found a thread where a member started the exact same wine kit that I have and he was asking questions about clearing and when to bottle, etc. The answers to his question changed my mind as to when I'll now bottle and I understand the process better. I've made many Internet searches and since there are so many differing opinions on how, when, and why I was getting a little stressed about possibly ruining my first batch of wine. I'm feeling more confident and realize that I not only need to be patient, but I need to chill out and don't stress. :cool: Thanks to all in this wonderful forum!
Welcome, Lychyo. What part of IA you are in?

I'm feeling more confident and realize that I not only need to be patient, but I need to chill out and don't stress.

I am very new to this myself. I was very worried that if I didn't make the kits exact to the directions that I would screw it all up. I was also very upset that it wouldn't turn out exactly as it is supposed to if I made any mistakes (which I did). Given some time and reflection I realized maybe I don't want a kit to taste as intended. I want it to taste how I like it, and we can adjust them to our tastes.

I just bottled my first kit. It was an 8 week WinExpert Shiraz, and I gave it an additional 3 months after the bottle date. It is very nice, better than our regular store bought 'go to'.

Many here bulk age (in carboy) from 6 months to 3+ years. The best advice I have gotten to date is wine is ready when it tastes good. Time is the first variable, but also your taste, and possibly making adjustments for it. Adding acid, etc.

It's ready when it's ready. If you like it, bottle it. If not, give it more time. If it's not coming together, ask questions, maybe it needs a little tweak to make it more to your preferences.

I did a taste test on 2 kits the other day and both are at 3 months past the bottle date. They were not very good a month ago, but by MY tastes they are ready to bottle. I find a kit wine seems to really start to come together with an additional 3 months beyond the 4,6,8 week kit time. 3 of the 4 that have reasched this date are all pleasant. The Pinot Grigio is not as tart as I prefer and I just added a little acid to see if that will liven it up.

As I am new, I am splitting my 6 gallon kits to a 3 gallon carboy and bottling half. Who wants to wait a year to taste their first batch? This way I can enjoy what is to me a very drinkable wine, and give the rest more time so I can get an understanding of what it can be. I also took 4 bottles and put them away with 3,6,9 months and 1 year dates on them so I can gauge the development and decide where time and flavour development merge into a sweet spot for my taste preferences.

Welcome to the WMT.. Have fun!

Hello! I'm from Des Moines.

I am very new to this myself. I was very worried that if I didn't make the kits exact to the directions that I would screw it all up. I was also very upset that it wouldn't turn out exactly as it is supposed to if I made any mistakes (which I did). Given some time and reflection I realized maybe I don't want a kit to taste as intended. I want it to taste how I like it, and we can adjust them to our tastes.

I just bottled my first kit. It was an 8 week WinExpert Shiraz, and I gave it an additional 3 months after the bottle date. It is very nice, better than our regular store bought 'go to'.

Many here bulk age (in carboy) from 6 months to 3+ years. The best advice I have gotten to date is wine is ready when it tastes good. Time is the first variable, but also your taste, and possibly making adjustments for it. Adding acid, etc.

It's ready when it's ready. If you like it, bottle it. If not, give it more time. If it's not coming together, ask questions, maybe it needs a little tweak to make it more to your preferences.

I did a taste test on 2 kits the other day and both are at 3 months past the bottle date. They were not very good a month ago, but by MY tastes they are ready to bottle. I find a kit wine seems to really start to come together with an additional 3 months beyond the 4,6,8 week kit time. 3 of the 4 that have reasched this date are all pleasant. The Pinot Grigio is not as tart as I prefer and I just added a little acid to see if that will liven it up.

As I am new, I am splitting my 6 gallon kits to a 3 gallon carboy and bottling half. Who wants to wait a year to taste their first batch? This way I can enjoy what is to me a very drinkable wine, and give the rest more time so I can get an understanding of what it can be. I also took 4 bottles and put them away with 3,6,9 months and 1 year dates on them so I can gauge the development and decide where time and flavour development merge into a sweet spot for my taste preferences.

Welcome to the WMT.. Have fun!
Those are some great ideas, thanks! I never thought about splitting the 6 gallons and I like the idea of labeling bottles with the aged dates to determine my taste preferences. I'm taking lots of notes.

Latest posts

Back