Newbie "experimenter" ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vacuum pumps aren't well-suited to plastic since the amount of suction required would likely morph and collapse a plastic container. Think squeezing a plastic soda bottle or sucking the air out of a plastic soda bottle, except on a larger scale.

There are ways to incorporate plastic but the full bottle that you are transferring to must be glass, since that is where the suction is applied. You can rack from a plastic container but must rack into a glass one.

Cheers

Last edited:
Congrats Dswaddling on starting up winemaking again !

This is taken off my website under FAQ'S - I hope it helps

How to incorporate a BB with the Allinone -
Over the years I have figured out how to incorporate the plastic BB carboys with the All In One. You can always pull from a BB or an open container – whether you are transferring, bottling or filtering – you do have to go into a glass container in order to withstand the vacuum pressure otherwise it will collapse. I have talked to many customers who have both types of carboys and this is what I recommend. Transfer from BB to glass to remove CO2 and sediment. The glass carboy should be higher than the BB for the next time you transfer; you can start a small vacuum, only to get the gravity to work for you and then turn off the pump. This way there is still no lifting heavy carboys !!

What do you mean by specifying GLASS carboys? Does this pump system not work with plastic carboys (which would be lighter, right)?

The vacuum is created in the vessel into which you are transferring to, which means it need to be glass or it will collapse. The vacuum then pulls the wine from the sending container which can be anything, even a bucket.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. What a great forum this is! Thank you to everyone for being so responsive and supportive.

Back