Newbie apple cider mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a processed honey will have less flavor, use unfiltered “raw” off the hive.
FYI ... The Costco $2/lb is a processed product.
Next question: I have seen several different types of honey, clover, wildflower, orange blossom, etc (and some that just states 'raw honey'. Does anyone have type preferences, and I'll assume that each one will apply to a select type of fruit juice, if any.

Last edited:
OK, good info to chew on (or sip on), I'll take some notes from this!

If you can find a local source of honey, the spring honey has a very delicate flavor and is light in color (almost a straw color) vs the fall honey which has a bolder flavor and is a darker amber in color.

clover is not so much generic but clover seems, to me, to be a better vehicle for other flavors (fruits or nuts or flowers) than as a flavor that can take center stage and hold your attention in ways that orange blossom or tupelo or meadowfoam, or heather honey can. With varietals, I would argue, that it is often a waste to use them in ways that they are not the star of the show. They are the Robin Williamses and the Meryl Streeps of honey world.

(Late) Thanks, I have been doing kit wines for a bit, but a year wait gnaws at me, and I was looking at the jars of honey waiting! So I'm getting that clover would be for, like a cyser or pyment, but the others would be more for naked meads (there are always exceptions though).

Latest posts

Back