Newbee from Western N.Y.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

173abn

Junior
Reaction score
I am new at this grape growing. I wanted to get some info, and hope its O.k. since I not a vineyard man. I tried years ago with out success, I believe it was do to Black Walnut trees. I just got couple plants to grow, I wanted to ask the pro's. I got these a couple days ago. They already came with leaves. Is it O.K. to plant them now? The temp has been any where from 30-50 degrees.

I am not a pro by any means, but if it was me, think I would wait til all chance of frost is past since they have already leafed out. And welcome to the forum. Arne.

Where are you in western NY? It is way to early for leaves. If they were dormant you would be okay. We probably won't be ready here for 4-6 weeks yet. If you are along the lake earlier and if you are in the southern tier, later.

I am new at this grape growing. I wanted to get some info, and hope its O.k. since I not a vineyard man. I tried years ago with out success, I believe it was do to Black Walnut trees. I just got couple plants to grow, I wanted to ask the pro's. I got these a couple days ago. They already came with leaves. Is it O.K. to plant them now? The temp has been any where from 30-50 degrees.

I got them Walmart about a week ago. I live between Honeoye and Hemlock in a dip in the hill.

Definitely too soon to plant. That is the problem with buying from any of the Big Box stores- they always stock up too early for an area to plant. They plan on you buying, planting and then they die. Makes you come back for more after you "learn your lesson". Now you need to find a way to keep them growing inside where they will get leggy(spindly) with small thin, inneficient leaves. Wait until your past freezing temps at night. Where I am at, that means at least another months wait, but you might be safe in 3-5 weeks.

Listen to Grapeman, he is one of the grape growing guru's around here. Probably forgot more than I will ever know about growing grapes. Arne.

Latest posts

Back