new

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome! I’m just a little west of you... in Alberta. Are you planning to start with some kits, or jumping into the deep end to try making something from scratch? Either way, you’ll find this a warm and friendly place to get information and ask questions.

Thanks, I have a surplus of haskap so i choose Dragon Blood for my 1st batch. I know its a triple berry wine but i only had the one so i'm giving it a try. I have 2 acres of that stuff.

Thanks, I have a surplus of haskap so i choose Dragon Blood for my 1st batch. I know its a triple berry wine but i only had the one so i'm giving it a try. I have 2 acres of that stuff.

Never heard of haskap so I looked it up! I bet I could grow that here (Minnesota). Are they good eating, too?

Edited to fix haskap spelling

Last edited:
I've never hear of it either. Sounds amazing.

From Haskap Information | North 49 Fruit Corp. | Haskap Supplier :
we describe the flavor as part blueberry, raspberry, with undertones of elderberry, black current, rhubarb, Saskatoon berry, and even grape.

I'll bet that makes AMAZING DB! Let us know in the DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine forum!! Personally I would use 9 -12 lbs (instead of 6 in the recipe). The original recipe is still "the standard", but most find up to double the fruit really enhances the experience. It's easy and quick enough to make that you could try both, side by side, if you have enough carboys. Some will say use way more, but IMHO, 9 - 12 lbs keeps it in the Dragon Blood realm. More than that and it approaches an actual fruit (country) wine. Try that too, though, since you have so much. I wonder if you would have a market for those berries here on the forum. Maybe dried?

Dragon Blood Wine is a good, quick drinker. Since you have lots of haskap, I suggest making a more standard fruit wine with 6 to 8 lbs of haskap per gallon of water at the same time. This will take longer to age, which is ok as you will have Dragon's Blood to drink while it's aging ....

Never heard of haskap so I looked it up! I bet I could grow that here (Minnesota). Are they good eating, too?

oh yes as long as you have some winter they'll be fine. They're a really hardy plant. Sorry for the late come back went fishing Saturday and yesterday went in the woods to get fence post, almost time pass the fence spring is coming soon.

I've never hear of it either. Sounds amazing.

From Haskap Information | North 49 Fruit Corp. | Haskap Supplier :

I'll bet that makes AMAZING DB! Let us know in the DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine forum!! Personally I would use 9 -12 lbs (instead of 6 in the recipe). The original recipe is still "the standard", but most find up to double the fruit really enhances the experience. It's easy and quick enough to make that you could try both, side by side, if you have enough carboys. Some will say use way more, but IMHO, 9 - 12 lbs keeps it in the Dragon Blood realm. More than that and it approaches an actual fruit (country) wine. Try that too, though, since you have so much. I wonder if you would have a market for those berries here on the forum. Maybe dried?
G thanks I wish I would got on here sooner, I did put 8lbs of berry next batch i'll try 12 lbs,. In Quebec they flash freeze them send them to China and Japan. You see fresh they don't have a long shelf life.

It's an aquired taste alot of people find them sour, but once you start eating them you can't seem to stop. For me anyway. CHEERS

I did put 8lbs of berry
Actually, I think 8 lbs for your first batch is better. My first DB was 8.8 lbs frozen triple-berry (2 bags of 2 kg from Costco). I added some bananas and raisins I had lying around because I had read that it helps, but I say let this batch finish, then you'll have a "baseline" you can adjust from. If you find something about it you don't like, there are lots of people to help you with suggestions on how to improve the next batch.

W
[/QU
Welcome to WMT. You could mix a frozen bag of triple berry with your own haskap (which I would recommend you freeze and thaw as well) Good luck. I wonder if there is haskap in Maine which is where I am headed on vacation this July.......................................DizzyIzzy

Actually, I think 8 lbs for your first batch is better. My first DB was 8.8 lbs frozen triple-berry (2 bags of 2 kg from Costco). I added some bananas and raisins I had lying around because I had read that it helps, but I say let this batch finish, then you'll have a "baseline" you can adjust from. If you find something about it you don't like, there are lots of people to help you with suggestions on how to improve the next batch.
Great thanks I’ll let you know as it goes
thanks for the info all my berries are frozen they have a very short shelf life. I heard that they are growing some somewhere down there. July is a good time because they rip the same time as strawberries , good luck

Latest posts

Back