New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Atmosphere or Eclipse?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wine is bit boring, nice acidity but 1 note. For a limited edition wine this was a disappointment.

If you noticed I also used a fpac of fresh green grapes, which add a little more structure to the base as well as flavor ( a tartness) just slit but there in the background. In my experience with the high end kits there just about ready when their done, a few months is all that's required to really be ready.

Attachments

• blan 004.jpg
    blan 004.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 24
If you noticed I also used a fpac of fresh green grapes, which add a little more structure to the base as well as flavor ( a tartness) just slit but there in the background. In my experience with the high end kits there just about ready when their done, a few months is all that's required to really be ready.

Next time fpac and some more oak.

Time in a bottle for white wines or Rose' should be short do to the lack of structure.
2,3,mos. Iß enough Reds need much more do their composition.and body types.

New Zealand Sauv Blancs are known for their citrusy flavor. I've made the Eclipse brand twice but never got that flavor.
Both of mine were good when young but they haven't aged well. According to my notes, both were great at 5 months of age.
I have 5 bottles left of the first one, which are now 30 months old. At 24 months I noted it as "good", but the last 3 bottles I opened, I poured out due to a strong bitter grapfruit flavor.
I have 24 bottles of the lastest batch which are now 9.5 months old. I don't plan to let them get very old.

That particular wines primary flavor profile is (grassy) to much of citrus it's out of balance. It happens.
Whites are a good short term wine , sometimes and sometimes not.
It also helps to sell more kit.

According to Winexpet Fume Blanc "Made with lush New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, this mouth-filling wine delivers a rush of ripe tropical fruit on the palate, with complex layers of gooseberry and melon, bright acidity and hints of grassy mineral notes expertly harmonized with a gentle creamy vanilla oak."

My Fume Blac had neither tropical fruit, grassy mineral notes nor gentle creamy oak flavor. It did have a bright acidity. It was a bit disappointing. I have always used winexpert kits, is it time to switch or do all kit wines fall short of their intended goal?

According to Winexpet Fume Blanc "Made with lush New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, this mouth-filling wine delivers a rush of ripe tropical fruit on the palate, with complex layers of gooseberry and melon, bright acidity and hints of grassy mineral notes expertly harmonized with a gentle creamy vanilla oak."

My Fume Blac had neither tropical fruit, grassy mineral notes nor gentle creamy oak flavor. It did have a bright acidity. It was a bit disappointing. I have always used winexpert kits, is it time to switch or do all kit wines fall short of their intended goal?
Time to take up soccer...

I agree. If I had one word to describe the fume blanc it would be “underwhelming”. It doesn’t have any of the normal characteristics of NZ sauv blanc. I made a few minor tweaks but all in all not expecting this one to be great.

Latest posts

Back