New York Muscat grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
I have located a nursery selling this vine, and it seems they are a dessert wine grape...

Does anyone grow these?

Allie

Sorry but the closest thing I have is valvin muscat.It's a hybrid from cornell univ. grape breeding program.

Thankyou!

I bought two vines yesterday and intend to have a go with cuttings to increase my stock.. they appear to be on their own roots and not grafted and i have room for about 10 in this variety in the side paddock ( without stealing more grass off the steers).. also bought a niagara grape and a pinot noir.. they had a riesling and an interlaken.. but might leave those for my next shopping trip as I couldn't resist buying a fig too

nothing ventured.. nothing gained..

Allie

Sorry but the closest thing I have is valvin muscat.It's a hybrid from cornell univ. grape breeding program.

how many do you have and does it crop well?.. Everthing I have read on the new york muscat suggests the yield of fruit isn't super high but that the flavour is worth growing the grapes for.

Allie

I have 8 vines of valvin muscat. Next year is the first year I'll be able to take a full crop from them. Winter kill set me back a year this past season. The vines have come back really well this year though.I've had a small amount of grapes from the vines the last 2 seasons.

They say for valvin muscat to pick when the flavors are there, and boy are they right about that! As they start to ripen peaches is the first thing you taste.If left to hang longer you can get orange peel/spiced orange tastes from them. It's my understanding that most all muscat varieties can make a really flavorful wine.

Some of the information I read on New York muscat says its hardy down to 0ºF how are your winter temps there where you live?

we get 5 to 6 frosts a year,

nothing major.

I think muscat is underrated here, Auckland is mostly grown in whites .. chardonnay etc

Allie

You should have no problems growing most vinifera with only getting a few frosts each year. I get to worry about seeing temps. down to -20º F each year. That is bad enough to kill all exposed vine material on vinifera here. I hope the new york muscat work out for you. Have you started to read up on disease control for grapes yet?

Just reading up on what trellissing systems to use. I tend to plant a lot of different things together.. so I'll do one row of vines.. then the next row is lemon trees etc.. that way if you get a problem with a plant it's easier to isolate and it won't just hop from one row to the next. I'm not a big fan of spraying and chemicals.

Will add disease control for grapes to my list of reading though, thanks for mentioning it.. so apart from the cold.. are your muscat grapes pretty disease resistant?

Allie

Their not too bad as far as disease goes. I did have some downy mildew and black rot start on them earlier this year. I did get it under control with a few sprays (I use organic inputs only on my vines).One of the links I gave earlier in this thread had the characteristics for vines and recommended trellis systems too, new york muscat was in there I believe.I'll see if I can find a link for an organic grapegrowing manual researched and written in aus. if I remember right. It's helped me alot.

cheers for that.. any information gratefully received.

from memory downy mildew is controlled with a spray made up of water and bicarbonate of soda. Works fast and is cheap has no effect on the plants themselves.. you've probably got it in your cupboard at home.

Allie

cheers for that.. any information gratefully received.

from memory downy mildew is controlled with a spray made up of water and bicarbonate of soda. Works fast and is cheap has no effect on the plants themselves.. you've probably got it in your cupboard at home.

Allie

Yes your right about that. I do like using an enviromentally friendly cure as I can too. I hang out in my vineyardette too much to want to have nasty chemicals to rub into too.

I lost an entire crop of peaches to mold last year due to a neighbour not taking care of their peach tree, the spores floated over the fenceline.. I've had to spray and prune it. I waited til the neighbour was out and I've been over the fence and sprayed their tree too. Fingers crossed for this year.. That's the first time I've had to spray in 5 years and that was only copper for leafcurl anyway. Organic gardening works so much better for disease control.

Allie

I get alot of disease pressure here in the midwest and am finally starting to understand how to keep things under control on grapes (its taken 7 years so far). My new problem now is starting to understand how to take care of apple trees. My wife asked if we could plant some, so I started 1 honeycrisp and 1 jonagold tree for her this spring. I can see from this years growing season leaf hoppers are going to be a problem with them.

Their very small insects that do kind of act like grasshoppers in the way they can hop around
You probable have very different insects that can be a problem for you and your grapevines but some diseases are common to us all. Powdery and downy mildew are a few that come to mind.

I had a quick google.

are they the triangle ones?

sap suckers?

yeah we have those.

kitchen detergent spray kills them and doesn't affect the plants.

Allie

Doesnt that kill some of the benefical insects too though?

no.

my garden is only interfered with sprays..if the plant is struggling.
It's not a blanket regime
Allie

Latest posts

Back