New Winexpert Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have purchased a few of the new cellarcraft kits. My LBS explained that they invested in new equipment that enabled them to introduce less heat to the process. Also the old process they had to introduce water after the concentrate to flush the lines, but the new system doesn’t require this. Not sure if it’s new pumps or shorter lines or what. Other than the volume the kits seemed unchanged I’ll let you know in a couple weeks when I go to bottle.

Picked up a VINECO signature red and an original series white, guess I'm a guinea pig here aswell. I was told the whites don't have that sickly yellow color anymore that one could assume occurs from the high heat pasteurization.

Picked up a VINECO signature red and an original series white, guess I'm a guinea pig here aswell. I was told the whites don't have that sickly yellow color anymore that one could assume occurs from the high heat pasteurization.
Please let us know how your new kits progress.

I have always been big fan on the Selections International Australian Chardonnay and was very disappointed it was turned into a 10L kit for the same amount of money. I was able to start a new kit 1.5 months after starting al old version. side by side tasting is the only to know for sure.

Yes, do keep us posted.

I'm kegging the new 10L kit of WE Australian Chardonnay. I used the same technique on both batches. Racked to secondary at 1.010 and followed fermentation with 2 months of Battenege, followed my finishing for 2 weeks. While there IS a difference I think it comes down to preference. The mouth feel between the older kit and new one was very similar. Body is also very closed. Where they differed was the finish. The Older kit had a bolder, sharper finish then the newer one. My wife was a HUGE fan of the older kits, to the point where it was hard to get her to buy any commercial bottles. To my surprise (and relief) in a blind taste test she preferred the newer batch! Her assessment was the same as mine regarding he finish. I will admit I preferred the older 16L Kit. Luckley, she's the one I have to please LOL

Color me pessimistic on this issue. I don't see how making the kit smaller, i.e. removing more of the water from the juice, improves the wine. If that were so, would not their 7L and 10L kits of the past been better than their 18L kits? Something here does not compute.

That said, I will probably try ONE of the new Reserve kits just to see for myself.

Color me pessimistic on this issue. I don't see how making the kit smaller, i.e. removing more of the water from the juice, improves the wine. If that were so, would not their 7L and 10L kits of the past been better than their 18L kits? Something here does not compute.

That said, I will probably try ONE of the new Reserve kits just to see for myself.
Like i said, there was a difference. The finish was NOT as bold in the 10L kit! It's a fluke that my wife prefers it LOL I prefer the older one myself. Sounds like we need to get together and see for our selves LOL

I agree. I've read WE's explanations and justifications for the smaller sizes and I don't believe their objective was to produce an improved kit. My guess is the only improvement is in Global Vintner's bottom line. I bought a few kits before the shrunken ones hit the shelves, so it'll be awhile before I get to try one.

I agree. I've read WE's explanations and justifications for the smaller sizes and I don't believe their objective was to produce an improved kit. My guess is the only improvement is in Global Vintner's bottom line.
Same here. I'm done with WE and future kits will be from other companies.

I think the new WE Private Reserve Kits should be compared to something like the En Primeur Winery Series from RJS

I have purchased a few of the new cellarcraft kits. My LBS explained that they invested in new equipment that enabled them to introduce less heat to the process. Also the old process they had to introduce water after the concentrate to flush the lines, but the new system doesn’t require this. Not sure if it’s new pumps or shorter lines or what. Other than the volume the kits seemed unchanged I’ll let you know in a couple weeks when I go to bottle.
Sounds like the same line Winexpert is using. I didn't realize Cellarcraft had shrunk their kits too!

Just started a WE Classic Moscato. Had to add 4 1/2 gallons of water!!! The F-Pack is rather large but c'mon ...... adding 4 1/2 gallons of water to a 6 gallon kit. The box says it contains 2.11 gallons. Hard to believe, because although the F-Pack is big, it's certainly not the same volume as the main juice bag. My starting SG was 1.072. Anyone else made this kit since WE shrunk it??:a1

Last edited:
I have a WE Australian Cabernet Sauvignon and Australian Chardonnay in production, using the reformulated kits. Just did the first racking and they look and taste fine. However, unless I had an earlier version of either wine, I can't honestly compare it.

I have the sauvignon blanc with a torch of peach just coming off the primary. Got so clearing work todo, it should be very good.

the equivalent of the World Vineyard kits have a new smaller box.
less juice, same price.
less juice = more water = weaker or more diluted wine
I was very happy with the old world vineyard kits, I thought they were the best bang for the buck
the option I have is to make less wine with the smaller amount of juice.
I will probably stop buying this product, and go elsewhere.

the equivalent of the World Vineyard kits have a new smaller box.
less juice, same price.
less juice = more water = weaker or more diluted wine
I was very happy with the old world vineyard kits, I thought they were the best bang for the buck
the option I have is to make less wine with the smaller amount of juice.
I will probably stop buying this product, and go elsewhere.
I'm not sure the new kits contain less juice. As I understand it, the old production method required that water be added to the pasteurized juice. So you were getting some percentage of plain, old H2O. And from what I've been reading, the new production method does not require that water be added to the juice. Ergo .... same amount of juice, but with less water added.

Latest posts

Back