New Winexpert Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brew store says the top line red kits with skins are 13L plus 1L of skins. I'm still not buying the whole smaller is better.

cheers

My brew store says the top line red kits with skins are 13L plus 1L of skins. I'm still not buying the whole smaller is better.

cheers

I’m with you, I wouldn’t be falling for it either. Just the fact that the kit is more concentrated means it’s more processed, not what I’m looking for in wine.

I have always been big fan on the Selections International Australian Chardonnay and was very disappointed it was turned into a 10L kit for the same amount of money. I was able to start a new kit 1.5 months after starting al old version. side by side tasting is the only to know for sure.

I have always been big fan on the Selections International Australian Chardonnay and was very disappointed it was turned into a 10L kit for the same amount of money. I was able to start a new kit 1.5 months after starting al old version. side by side tasting is the only to know for sure.
Yes, do keep us posted.

Water is the hole key ,a while back I started to decrease the volume of water per kit using the hydrometer as my guide; ex. 6 gallon kits at certain.price points did better with less water and still had good balance. (5.5) gallons to be exact

6 gallon moderate priced kits depending once again the concentration level ,I could reduce or not depending on how the hydrometer reacted.
So less is more it's just taken the manufacturer longer to catch up
Once you understand that and understand your wines profile it becomes easy, to do more with less not a lot of less but less.
The trick is always finding the balance between flavor , alcohol and finish.
what they're doing is increasing the concentration by removing more water .
Most of the kits made at cheaper price points do better when enhancements are added for that reason ( better balance). High priced kits are good almost as they are and required less enhancements so by reducing the water the structure of the wine should be better, don't worry about price the net result is you'll also get fewer bottles per kit.
Remember always to think outside the box, and less is always more, well thatsy story and I'm sticking to it.🍇

Last edited:
The brix level that will dictates the alcohol level then its up to the winemaker to build the structure . YEs.? Water is the balanceing point.
Wine making at kit level isn't hard ,I've always used the term making a sauce as a description for it.
Base +water= volume.= You,
But not structure. That's the winemakers descression.

Last edited:
Using the hydrometer reading and not the water volume is a great idea! Thanks Joe, I’ll use it on my next kit!

GaDawg, does it make sense to you?
You control the ABV. At all times
By controlling the additional water level.
That's why in most cases you need to reconstruct the profile.

the structure of wine has 5 basic elements,Acidity,tannins, alcohol and sugars.
your correct , by adding the water that's expected as per MFG. you create a body and structure the wines base can be to thin to start with ,as we have learned here time after time.
By decreasing and or adding to the original structure you will be adjust the 5 elements not just two.
by decreasing the water I increase the tannins and acidity? not if their not there to start with. the adjustment comes with trial and error on the winemakers part, adding tannin power or oak, berries to the primary ,that then is the adjustment so many items can come into play . EVEN in the secondary the art can still be done.

Joe it makes perfect sense.
It’s all about controlling variables, and water is just another variable.
In Mist type kits ( and not just Mist kits ) I have used simple syrup to change the hydrometer,
now I have use simple syrup and water to better target SG.
A more precise starting point should give me a better end product!

Not sure if I have a complete list or not, but it looks like they're dropping some of the white blends while keeping the red. Trinity Red is listed but not Trinity White. Luna Rossa is listed but not Luna Bianca. Also don't see Symphony.

It's a shame for me because I haven't had a commercial white blend that I like but I love my Trinity White. Symphony turned out great and it's definitely not something I see on the wine shelves at the grocery store. I'm hoping to make a batch of Luna Bianca this year.

Definitely a shame that whites don't store like reds or I'd just make a 15-20 gallon batch of Trinity White, I'm that happy with it. I'll keep my fingers crossed that maybe my list is incomplete.

I also love trinity white and I'm not happy with the new line up. At least they kept Diablo Rojo...

I also love trinity white and I'm not happy with the new line up. At least they kept Diablo Rojo...
I grabbed another TW along with a Luna Bianca and will make them this fall.

i know that RJS has the Trio White and I’ll be trying it next year.

Back