New Wine Room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L093A11AB-12EF-4C5F-B4F0-CFF5F1F5BF65.jpeg Finished the carboy storage conversion Saturday afternoon, moved all of the burgundy bottle wines into them, freed up a lot of space. Capsuled, labeled and racked 45 bottles of PG, and now I’ve got some free space finally! Won’t last long though, 10 cases worth of wine that’s ready to bottle, and another 15 or so cases before summer.

@JohnT , that's not going to happen. There's plenty of space to accommodate way more wine than I need, so it's pre-programmed to be my failsafe limiter. I've always planned to be able to re-purpose certain areas once I had "enough" wine in bottles, frankly, didn't think that point would be reached so quickly, but here it is. In the end, even the bottom carboy racks will be converted over to storage, production will be AF and MLF in the house, barrel aging in one large barrel (30 or 60 gallon) in the wine room, then to bottle shortly after. One large batch per year, although the occasional small batch of white wine will creep in upon occasion. This will more than accommodate our consumption and gifting habits.

John,

First time poster here. Absolutely beautiful room, you should be very proud of your work!

A couple of questions...

it looks like from your blueprints (post 60) that the depth of your racks are 12”, correct?

Also, you mentioned that you bought your wood online. Care to share your source?

Thanks,

Tom

John,

First time poster here. Absolutely beautiful room, you should be very proud of your work!

A couple of questions...

it looks like from your blueprints (post 60) that the depth of your racks are 12”, correct?

Also, you mentioned that you bought your wood online. Care to share your source?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, you are correct, racks are 12” deep.

As for the wood, not sure where I may have mentioned an online source, but if I did, it was an error. My wood all came from one of my millwork subcontractors, who also lives a few doors down and is a good friend. Not sure where he sourced it from.....

Just a little word of caution / advice for those of you who may have a garbage disposal in your wine area, or use one in your kitchen, though one that gets regular use is less likely to have issues.

First, to set the stage, the sink / disposal has been in use for about 2-1/2 years, and doesn’t get a lot of action, as it’s in the wine room and only gets used by me when working on wine related activities. Last week I noticed that the disposal was stuck, second time it had happened, no big deal. This unit doesn’t have an Allen fitting on the bottom of the shaft to work it loose from under the sink, the manufacturer recommends a wooden broom handle from the top for this task. After a lot of effort with no results, I finally declared no joy and called my plumber.

When he got the unit removed, the grinder plate and tub were completely corroded an fused together by corrosion, almost like they were welded together. He asked me what the hell I was putting down there, I replied, “The usual, water, gross lees, sulfite solution, stuff like that.” As the words were coming out, it was registering, the pH of this stuff and caustic nature was probably at play, which he quickly agreed with once I explained what that stuff was.

Needless to say, the unit had to be replaced. We opted, at some cost, to install a commercial unit with all stainless parts to mitigate the situation in the future. His additional precautionary advice was to flush the unit well with fresh water after every session of use, and to allow it to run with fresh water flowing on a regular basis when not in use. I’m sure that if didn’t sit idle for extended times after having had sulfite solution dumped into it, it probably wouldn’t have happened. Never had a problem in my kitchen when I did my winemaking in there, but it gets used a lot for other stuff.

Ah yes, stainless steel and sulfites don't mix. Corrosion starts almost immediately. If rinsed off right away with running water you should be ok, but if left on will corrode right thru. Happened to me with my degassing whip which is made of SS.

Normal (304) stainless will not survive salt, alkali and strong acids. Dairy plant equipment will be washed with an alkali cleaner and then rinsed with a dilute citric or water. the surface could be reconditioned. (redox state changed with SO3)

Started a little wine room addition phase, no footprint expansion, just taking advantage of some dead space. Just built and installed this 3 bay rack which will hold just under 70 bottles, still need to add base and finish out the top before I can fit er up. Will probably add another two bays at the left side of the cabinets, and another two or three on the left of the old carboy rack.

FCC98083-6237-459E-8D6D-2AC7041A25D1.jpeg

Started a little wine room addition phase, no footprint expansion, just taking advantage of some dead space. Just built and installed this 3 bay rack which will hold just under 70 bottles, still need to add base and finish out the top before I can fit er up. Will probably add another two bays at the left side of the cabinets, and another two or three on the left of the old carboy rack.

View attachment 54073

I wanted to scan the room for potential space. So just went searching for your thread where you detailed your wine room build.

Now realize that this IS that thread. Doh!

Only thought was removing crown molding and getting another one or two rows up top. You are fully maxed out with nowhere left to go!

I wanted to scan the room for potential space. So just went searching for your thread where you detailed your wine room build.

Now realize that this IS that thread. Doh!

Only thought was removing crown molding and getting another one or two rows up top. You are fully maxed out with nowhere left to go!

Nope, not too much left, other than the easiest, less thought of method of adding racks in front, thus making the racks two bottles deep...... which I may do in certain areas one day, should the need arise.

Latest posts

Back