New Wine Room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing floor. You did a great job on the angles. That isn't an easy feet.

Johnny, I'm glad you can appreciate the complexity of the design, although the end product appears as a simple design, that was the intent. I can take credit only for the design, I used a stone flooring subcontractor for the heavy lifting on the floor, I just didn't have the time to tackle that element. The installer complained a bit about the difficulty during installation, but this morning as we stood on it getting ready for the last sealer coats, he forgot about the difficulty and was quite proud of his work. He'll be leaving after sealing with four nice bottles of wine.

So here is the $64,000 question for you......

Will you be covering that beautiful tile work with lots of rubber floor mats or do you "live dangerously". Wine bottles do not bounce on tile. I have had leftover tile in my garage from when we did our whole house years ago and have been meaning to pull everything out in the Winter and do a simple diagonal pattern but I have had so many close calls with bottles slipping out of racks and hitting the floor, carboys slipping when moving and landing hard on the floor (which has Berber carpet/pad) that I have never done it.

If I do I will be buying a big box of rubber restaurant style pads to put down in front of everything effectively covering all the tile!

So here is the $64,000 question for you......

Will you be covering that beautiful tile work with lots of rubber floor mats or do you "live dangerously". Wine bottles do not bounce on tile. I have had leftover tile in my garage from when we did our whole house years ago and have been meaning to pull everything out in the Winter and do a simple diagonal pattern but I have had so many close calls with bottles slipping out of racks and hitting the floor, carboys slipping when moving and landing hard on the floor (which has Berber carpet/pad) that I have never done it.

If I do I will be buying a big box of rubber restaurant style pads to put down in front of everything effectively covering all the tile!

Mike, my current area is hard tile, I've been living dangerously since starting making wine. No mats on the floor for me. If something glass hits the floor, down the drain it will go, hopefully the frogs and minnows in the drainage ditch will have a party. Sweep up the glass, mop the slate, move on to the next project..........

Mine is epoxy painted concrete. No where as classy as yours John. It has cost a couple of bottles, but luckily no Carboys....has to be some wood around here. Anyway, with a floor drain, cleanup is easy - hose, oxy, and squeegee to the drain. Now a mat to ease my feet, hmmm....

We did tile our storage room. I did have a Rhone bottle of Syrah decide to slide out of a bin one night, stained the grout nicely. I guess txt sealer I used wasn't too good:(

Well, it's been kind of a nasty week with the wine room, finishing up the plaster and soffits on the outside was kind of messy, but it'll be done shortly.

The refrigeration tech finished setting up the system today, had it humming along at about 53 degrees. I'll put an end to that when I get home, I think I'm going to keep the room around 60 during the warm months and allow it to cool to about 55 once we get into the cooler months of the year, I'm sure the electricity bill will convince me further.

All of the mahogany showed up today, so the cabinet and diamond building will get started pretty quickly. I'm hoping to get the cabinets sometime next week, along with miles of 1x2's and 1/2x1/2's so I can start building the racks. Next weekend should be a busy one, of course, as fate would have it, I'll also be finally getting my frozen Chile must..............

Spent several hours outside around the addition yesterday cleaning up behind the plaster installation. Had to whip out the rotary hammer to drill a bunch of holes and anchor the pool controls, electrical disconnects, and downspouts to the new wall finish. Beat the rain by about 5 minutes, the outside is done.

Inside, I spent this morning installing black electrical outlets, switches and cover plates. I also removed the white return air grill / filter and diffusers, painted them black, and reinstalled them. Finished up by installing the light fixture and dimmer controls, pretty cool fixture, purportedly made of repurposed barrel hoops. It's not terribly bright in the room at the moment, but the LED's won't go in until all of the woodwork gets installed.

image.jpg

Corner display unit was set in place this evening, it's the starting point for the two walls of racking and storage diamonds above. It's not fastened in place yet, I'll probably get started this weekend.

image.jpg

Once I get the corner unit set properly to receive the racking on each side, I'll start cutting and installing the racking, currently in the form of thousands of feet of 1x2's, 1x4's, and 1/2x1/2's. Can't wait to get started!

image.jpg

Had a little free time this morning at 6 AM before baseball playoffs and yard work, cut 50 verticals and 1500 bottle supports, whipped out a few frames and set / fastened them in place. It's a meager start, but I've got the kinks worked out. Just need to put in the hours now........

image.jpg

Nicely done, once you get the flow going you will really move out. Your room looks great.

Nicely done, once you get the flow going you will really move out. Your room looks great.

Thanks, it's been fun so far. It's really nice working in there, 58 and I don't sweat a drop. All in, the individual bottle racks will require that I attach 1804 bottle supports on the 1 x 2 verticals, it's not hard work, just a lot of it. Each vertical assembly with supports has to be put together before it can be anchored in place. Trimming the racks out will be the final step there. Most all the other millwork comes in large pieces, the diamonds, cabinets, and carboy storage.

Latest posts

Back