New Wine Room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading some info on "bottle shock" recently makes me ask the REAL question at hand ,,,,, Is your wine ready for the move to new digs??? That IS what this is all about isn't it? Mighty impressive and thanks for the chronology.. :try

Reading some info on "bottle shock" recently makes me ask the REAL question at hand ,,,,, Is your wine ready for the move to new digs??? That IS what this is all about isn't it? Mighty impressive and thanks for the chronology.. :try

I'm not really anticipating any stress on the wine, the stuff in bottles is in refrigerated cellars and will simply move from a 55 degree refrigerated case to a 55 degree room. The wines I've bottled in the last month is in cases on their side in my house, it'll go into the cellar as well, could be a little shock there.....we'll see...............

Over the years I've learned that I'm not really suited for taping/spackling (sp?). I'd rather pay someone who knows what they're doing. If I do it I always remember where I had problems, high/low spots, etc. Plus they're much faster. When I finished my son's room in the basement, it took my spackler about 45 minutes to do the first coat (20-30 boards. Inside and out.) and it looked great. Plus he had a minimal amount of sanding to do. I always looked like I was at an explosion in a flour factory after sanding. (Later I found that a damp white tee shirt (and rinsing) works really well and a lot less dust too.)

Over the years I've learned that I'm not really suited for taping/spackling (sp?). I'd rather pay someone who knows what they're doing. If I do it I always remember where I had problems, high/low spots, etc. Plus they're much faster. When I finished my son's room in the basement, it took my spackler about 45 minutes to do the first coat (20-30 boards. Inside and out.) and it looked great. Plus he had a minimal amount of sanding to do. I always looked like I was at an explosion in a flour factory after sanding. (Later I found that a damp white tee shirt (and rinsing) works really well and a lot less dust too.)

I'm in the same boat, not the most proficient, but I get by. Didn't do too bad this weekend, 20 boards total, got everything taped and bedded on Saturday, sanded and second coat on Sunday. The tapered joints are pretty easy to do a good job, but the butt joints are harder as they have to be feathered out, that takes me a bit of time. So I didn't get to priming over the weekend, but that's OK, I'll hit some licks on it during the evenings this week.

All of the walls are ready to be sanded and primed, still need one more coat before sanding and priming the ceiling. The floor installer asked me to hold off on priming, which worked out well since I didn't get it done over the weekend, but they got started today.

First step is setting a mud bed (very dry sand/cement/water mixture) at the proper elevation around the perimeter of the room, and then creating a slight slope in the bed to the drain in the center of the room. The slate flooring will be set on top of the mud bed. They'll finish the bed tomorrow and I'll get everything sanded and primed over the weekend, before the flooring goes in.

Picture below is the perimeter mud bed which they use to establish the elevation around the perimeter of the room.

IMG_3114.jpg

Mud bed finished up on Thursday, put a coat of thin set cement on it Friday to protect it, I was able to get back in there on Saturday.

Finished up the last bit of ceiling skimming and sanding in the afternoon and cleaned the room out. This morning, sponged all of the joints and nail holes and put a coat of primer on it. Roller texture using paint is very unforgiving (compared to a spray texture), but I have to say, I did quite well, probably 10 minutes worth of knife work and priming to be ready for final painting.

Slate flooring starts Monday or Tuesday.

image.jpg

I agree. Nice color. That's the color I usually use on my dining room.

I agree. Nice color. That's the color I usually use on my dining room.

Thanks, the color of the primer on the walls is the actual final wall cover. For some reason, the second can which I did the ceiling with is a different color, go figure.

When the wife and I chose the color at the Sherwin Williams store, much to our pleasure, the official name of it was: SW 6307 Fine Wine. We figured that fate was on our side, so it was a nobrainer.

I could have used that color on my kitchen walls the time, just a month or so ago, that I dropped a cook book into an open 6 gallon bucket of red wine.

Great project and what looks like a very fine job. Can't wait to see the millworker. You are making me want to attack the winery again!

We kicked off installation of the 8"x16" slate flooring this morning, looks like it's going to take a couple of days to get it installed, grouted, and sealed. The photo below is the first of four triangles which will be separated by a 2" dark grey diagonal band projecting out from the floor drain to the corners of the room.

All of the mahogany for the wine racks and cabinetry is scheduled for delivery next week, it'll be another week before I can get anything fabricated and delivered, so there will be a little down time.

Will post some more floor photos as the floor progresses.

IMG_3117.jpg

Love the tile layout!
Mike

Thanks Mike. The layout is working pretty well, just slow in the beginning making sure all four panels tie together, lots of cuts close to the drain, but it'll get faster as the pattern radiates outward.

The pic below is the result of a day's work. You can see one piece of the 2" wide dark slate strip that will separate the four panels.

image.jpg

Field tile all in place and set, tomorrow morning we'll set the diagonal bands and center tile using some quick set cement and get all of the joints grouted.

Friday it'll get cleaned and have a coat of enhancer to bring out the natural colors in the slate, followed by two coats of sealer. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not a train.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back