New Wine Room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inside the Wine Room, above the ceiling, supply air ducted in and split to two diffusers. We decided to split the supply to reduce air flow noise through the diffusers and for more even distribution.

Looking good, but how will you insulate around your cold air supply? I would think you are going to get alot of moisture condensing on those if they are exposed in the ceiling space.

Looking good, but how will you insulate around your cold air supply? I would think you are going to get alot of moisture condensing on those if they are exposed in the ceiling space.

Once the joints in the ductwork and diffuser boxes have been sealed, they will be insulated with 4" jacketed insulation. Of course, the return air ductwork and the air handling unit itself will be treated in the same fashion. Both the ceiling joist space and underside of the roof deck (walls too) will be filled with closed cell spray foam insulation.

You're right, without the insulation, it would be a colossal condensation catastrophe.

Sounds good. Figured you were on these details because any exposed cold spot could create a mini river up there.

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

John, looks very cool!

I have a question about the floor drain:
Is that a storm drain? ...or a sewer drain?

If it is a storm drain, I would think the building inspector would have a problem with it being inside the dwelling where chemicals (such as floor detergent) can be disposed.

Last edited:
John, looks very cool!

I have a questions about the floor drain:
Is that a storm drain? ...or a sewer drain?

If it is a storm drain, I would think the building inspector would have a problem with it being inside the dwelling where chemicals (such as floor detergent) can be disposed.

It is a storm drain. The area I enclosed was previously and outdoors area and the slab was sloped to drain to it, my old crawfish boiling area. It exists only as an emergency drain now, in the case of a carboy drop or wine spill, and it has a built in sediment trap. No chemicals will be going down there, floors will be mopped just like in your home. The building inspector was out when I started the project, no issues. The plumbing inspector has been out to approve the sink rough in, he had no issues either, so I doubt I'll have a problem with it.............

.... not near enough pictures in this here how-to thread.. :ft lol

Well........ I guess it's not really a how to thread, more of a chronicling of the process, but I can certainly try to post more pics, but it's all behind the scenes stuff at the moment.

The gray box is the air handling unit for the refrigeration system, return air on the bottom, supply on top. Pricey little bugger.

image.jpg

Last edited:
This is the supply air side, ductwork is now sealed and insulated, split supply. With air this temperature, it's vitally important to be completely sealed and insulated to prevent moisture and mold problems.

image.jpg

And this is the 20"x20" return air grill, it will also house the filter for the system. Pretty exciting stuff.

Tomorrow, we run 208Vpower to all of the new equipment both in the attic and outside on the condenser pad. We'll also be installing back boxes and wiring for all service receptacles and switches. In the attic there will be a couple of power converters for the LED lighting system which need 110V, and from there we distribute 12V power to the LED light locations, undercounter in my work area, in the light cove above the display cabinet, and the main lighting in the center of the room. All lighting will be dimmable with dimming switches.

image.jpg

Well........ I guess it's not really a how to thread, more of a chronicling of the process, but I can certainly try to post more pics, but it's all behind the scenes stuff at the moment.....
Since I usually look at something and wonder "How did they do that..?" the behind the scenes stuff is where it all starts. I love 'watching' projects go from concept to finished with all the 'boring' stuff in between.... but then I'm weird that way:HB lol. Looks like your getting things done right!

Since I usually look at something and wonder "How did they do that..?" the behind the scenes stuff is where it all starts. I love 'watching' projects go from concept to finished with all the 'boring' stuff in between.... but then I'm weird that way:HB lol. Looks like your getting things done right!

I own a commercial construction company, so I guess sometimes I take that stuff for granted. Hopefully the pics will be more exciting once we get some wood in there.

John, looks like a great project/investment. Just curious though, you have 120/208 not 120/240 power to your house? Usually 120/208 is associated with 3 ph. power.

John, Thanks for the reply. I wish I had more time/room/$$ to expand. The only thing expanding lately is my waistline.

Wow! This has been a fascinating read, thank you so much for sharing. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Today we pulled feeders through a previously installed underground conduit to power this new panel. The panel feeds 240 to the new a/c condenser, the refrigeration condenser, and the a/c air handling unit in the attic. The refrigeration condenser unit back feeds 120 to its air handling unit in the attic. Two 120 circuits to the wine room for lighting, receptacles, and garbage disposal.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back