New Wine Room

Discussion in 'Wine Cellar & Storage Forum' started by Johnd, Mar 20, 2016.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Dec 20, 2016 #261

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Damn, that's sexy!!! :D

Johnd likes this.
  2. Dec 20, 2016 #262

Amanda660

Amanda660

Amanda660

Haven't met a grape I didn't like!

Is that a little wine barrel trash can to the far left?

3. Dec 20, 2016 #263

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

Yes, it is. I contacted North American Barrel and inquired into used or defective barrels that had been returned. Picked it up for $20, cut the head out, and voila! Trash can. Still smells like bourbon too.

Amanda660 and Boatboy24 like this.
  4. Dec 20, 2016 #264

Amanda660

Amanda660

Amanda660

Haven't met a grape I didn't like!

I'm just a little jealous of the trash can but SUPER jealous of the whole project. Thanks so much for sharing!

Johnd likes this.
  5. Jan 5, 2017 #265

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

So, despite all of my pre Christmas hinting to the Mrs., Santa didn't bring me the table and chairs that would complete the wine room. Taking matters into my own hands (plus a sale!), just ordered this set for the room. Very excited to receive them..........in 6-8 weeks.

IMG_0737.jpg

Kraffty, Boatboy24 and JohnT like this.
  6. Jan 5, 2017 #266

Brickhouse

Brickhouse

Brickhouse

Just went through every page of this thread. Incredible. Well done to say the least.

Johnd likes this.
  7. Jan 5, 2017 #267

NorCal

NorCal

NorCal

Super Moderator Super Moderator

Very nice. I like the industrial / fictional look.

Johnd likes this.
  8. Jan 5, 2017 #268

ibglowin

ibglowin

ibglowin

Moderator Super Moderator

Let me know how you like it once it arrives, especially the build quality (for that kind of $$$). Everything I have ever ordered from that site has been very poor quality. Just this Holiday I ordered some Xmas ornaments with my winery name on them. Not cheap ($35 ea). I thought I was getting laser etching but instead it was just stamped on the ornament. I was able to smear the "customization" right off with my thumb..... I also ordered a custom cellar sign. Again very shoddy work and the wood feels almost like balsa wood, so fragile if you breath on it it may break..... Ordered a set of "Madmen" style highball glasses several years ago, again same thing very poor quality. Glass was full of defects and the shiny steel rim along the top was all tarnished and colored. I called and complained and they refunded my $$$ and said to keep the glasses as a "gift".....

9. Jan 5, 2017 #269

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

I'll definitely do that. I'm really uncomfortable buying stuff that I can't see in person and touch. Therefore, I called and spoke with the salesman (I know his job is to sell) about the pieces, he confirmed that he'd sat on the stools and that they were very sturdy, as well as the table. All of the table base components are cast iron and very heavy, table doesn't wobble on the long spindle that supports it, you know the drill. I'm a skeptic until I see it in person..........but it looks nice in the picture and should work well in the room from a space standpoint.

ibglowin and Boatboy24 like this.
  10. Jan 17, 2017 #270

Casper137

Casper137

Casper137

I have short hobbit legs and far too many children

Wowzers! Great Project.

I probably should have built a wine room instead of the 600 square foot deck we just had built since I live in snow country and only get to use the deck half the year. :)

I'm planning to build this EXACT setup in my "wine room" which is really just the far end of my 50 foot long bowling alley of a bedroom which the wife just loves the smell of yeast. (I think that came out wrong).

I saw you posted some dimensions in a post but was wondering if I could get a few more details.

I was planning going about ~7 foot wide and ~7 foot high with a ~2 foot by ~2 foot open space for display with a shelf.

It looks like you utilized the existing studs for reinforcement with the backing board?

Did you assemble all the bottle holders to the vertical with screws? or a nail gun?

Thanks so much in advance John.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  11. Jan 17, 2017 #271

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Thanks for the kudos, much appreciated.

The room is standard construction, with 2 x studs on 16" centers, closed cell spray foam insulation, and 1/2" MR drywall, taped, floated and painted. From there, all of the woodwork is surface applied over the drywall, but certainly nailed through it and into the studs.

Horizontal 1x2's were attached to the wall behind the racking, the racks attach to those horizontals. Each rack was built individually in a jig that I made to keep them all uniform. Everything was made, and attached with a pneumatic trim nailer, using appropriate length nails for the application.

I'll post some "under construction" photos and a finished product of one area to help illustrate the above.

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

image.jpg

Boatboy24, jburtner and dcbrown73 like this.
  12. Apr 8, 2017 #272

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Just an update, this was due in early March, but the #*¥~#* thing isn't in yet. Purportedly delayed due to QC issues at the manufacturer, I don't like the sound of that at all. It's supposed to be in from the manufacturer this week for "inspection" prior to shipping to me. They did give me a $75 coupon as a token of apology for the delay. More later...........

13. Apr 9, 2017 #273

ibglowin

ibglowin

ibglowin

LOL Called it!

14. Apr 20, 2017 #274

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

OK, @ibglowin etal, here's my evaluation of this purchase, from the onset to now.

Ordering and paying was a breeze, made an inquiry about the product and got a call from a salesman, we chatted, he was able to cut some $$ off of the shipping since it was going to my office, commercial delivery.

The product was scheduled for delivery about 40 days ago, they apologized and sent me a $75 gift certificate for my trouble, haven't used it yet.........It shipped this past Monday and arrived here just fine today, loaded it up and took it home at lunch.

Came in 4 boxes (table base, table top, chair, chair) and was packed well, a bit hard to cut through all of the wrapping plastic, but it was done well and there was no damage to the product.

The table base is very heavy cast iron, probably weighs around 60 pounds, really solid, goes up and down easily, locks in place, and was already assembled except for one leg, which I installed with the included bolts and hex wrench in just a few minutes. The top is nicely stained with a pretty decent finish on it, color as expected. The top has a steel structure underneath with a 3/4" threaded nipple which fit right into the threaded female hole in the top of the base spindle, about 10 or so revolutions of the top tightened it up nicely. The table is stable on its feet and the top has no wobble to it at all, even extended all of the way up as it is in the picture. It's a winner.

The chairs aren't quite as heavy as the table, but are sturdy. They came assembled except for the backs, which bolted right on with the included hardware and an open end wrench. They're wooden seats, so I wasn't really expecting the lap of luxury, but they are fairly comfortable.

Start to finish, unboxing, assembling and setting them in the room took about 30 minutes and was quite easy, although the table base is a bit awkward to move around. I'm fairly pleased with the product, it fits nicely in the room, physically and aesthetically, plenty of room to maneuver around and the chairs tuck up under the table pretty nicely.

I'll invite Mrs. JohnD in for a bottle tonite and we'll put it to the test...........

IMG_0830.jpg

Boatboy24, 4score, Kraffty and 6 others like this.
  15. Apr 20, 2017 #275

Kraffty

Kraffty

Kraffty

How do you say "looking better" when it's been looking awesome all along. Great Job,
    Mike

16. Jul 9, 2017 #276

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

It's been right at a year since I finished this project, I've really been loving the smell, feel, solitude, and efficiency of the room.

I spent a lot of time in there over the weekend, emptying and refilling barrels, and my last kit is in the one remaining "non MLB" barrel, and a bunch of grape wines are out. They're all tasting pretty solid, young and tannic, but tasty. I now have seven carboys ready for bottling between now and harvest.

No biggie, except that when those 210 bottles hit the racks, you guessed it, I'll be at bottle capacity. With nine full carboys waiting for barrels, 36 gallons still in barrels, and harvest around the corner, I'm in a tight spot.

Think I'll make grape wine this fall since I have carboy spaces available and start drinking a lot more wine........while contemplating an addition. Maybe add on to the front of some racks and go two bottles deep......

17. Jul 9, 2017 #277

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Time to join some competitions...

...or send me some wine. :dg

Johnd likes this.
  18. Jul 10, 2017 #278

ibglowin

ibglowin

ibglowin

You are going to have to bite the bullet and get a couple of those Seville Racks for the hooch. Keep the commercial in your nice individual wood racks.

Johnd likes this.
  19. Jan 21, 2018 #279

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

FA9420D6-8BB0-4767-88EC-C88B135F0B84.jpeg E582DDBB-02E2-42D1-AB79-8F9A55C73168.jpeg Pretty much come to the end of the “getting started” plan that kicked off several years back: “Make enough wine for it to be able to age”. I now have kits at 3 + yo, wine from grapes at 2 + yo, and lots of commercial stuff in the cellar, 4 full 6 gallon vadais, one full 12 gallon vadai, a full 30 gallon French barrel, 12 gallons Tempranillo waiting for the 12 gallon vadai, and 3 carboys of press and free run wine from Fall ‘17. The Bravado (my last kit) is 18 months old, still in carboy, and the Chilean Malbec is ready to bottle (almost 2 yo). Time to slow down.

Started today converting the top 7 carboy slots into wine bottle storage, and decided to attack the biggest storage issue I have, Burgundy bottles. You’d be hard pressed to find the few Pinot Noirs in my cellar, but most of my Zins and Petite Sirahs are in burgundy bottles as well. They don’t play nice, don’t fit in some slots for Bordeaux’s and don’t stack worth a crap in diamonds.

Converted over 2-1/2 of the slots this morning, and moved the pesky 2015 Turleys, freeing up several diamonds for my recent bottlings. I’ll just keep pecking away at it over the next few days, get the 14 Turleys moved, and still have room for the petite sirahs. It happened, pics to prove it!!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Boatboy24, stickman and ibglowin like this.
  20. Jan 21, 2018 #280

Zintrigue

Zintrigue

Zintrigue

Goals, right here. Goals.