New Wine Room Design

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My goal is to never need to handle full carboys. If I have enough counter space, I can use my AIO wine pump to move wine between carboys and for bottling. If I have a shelf below the counter, I can rack wine into a carboy there for bulk aging, and then use the pump to rack it out for bottling. The only time I need to handle carboys in the sink is when I am washing them.

@ratflinger Very slick setup and process. I hope to be there some day. Nowhere near there yet.😁

Thank you. I didn't get here overnight either. This process works for me, but you may come up with a process that works better for you. That's the nice thing about this, someone else's process does not negate what you feel works well for you. The best process you can have is a fluid one. If someone else is doing something that also works for you then you fold it in. Most of what I've learned has come from reading and studying this forum. There are many people here much smarter than myself.

I'm 66, handling full carboys is asking for disaster. I can handle them, but I'd rather not. I'd rather think harder and act smarter.
I'm a few years behind you and can still handle full carboys, but the handwriting is on the wall. Regardless of age, the best way to prevent a problem is to completely circumvent it. Using a pump is a wise choice.

There are many people here much smarter than myself.
You're living vicariously through the mistakes of others -- that's wisdom! Don't sell yourself short!

I'll cheerfully post a description of my mistakes -- if I prevent one person from making the same mistake I did? The post was worth the time.

I find it interesting no one has said a floor drain yet.
Number one is storage area, you will never have enough as for full carboys/ empty glass/ pumps/ filtration/ fruit press/ cases of bottles. Storage can be lesser grade as formica or wire racks. #2 is a wet process area which is smaller than storage, I like stainless but the key is being able to clean it, yup I have cleaned both walls and floor. A lot of my transfers are gravity with vacuum assistance so I have milk crates and metal stands to adjust height.
ABAD0BD6-CBD8-4A92-9E40-3E86DDE1174B.jpeg
#3 is a dry chemical/ sugar/ weighing/ lab test area. My Chemical bench is the smallest section. Some club folks keep a desk with the chromatography or Hacch meter
3E2381D5-00D6-4E86-9735-F77FE92D76BD.jpeg
#4 some club members have a display area for ribbons.

A lot of what you need is based on your style. One club member has a chest freezer to precipitate tartrates from northern hybrid grapes. I do a lot of country wines so I wind up having a freezer with five gallons of rhubarb juice or grape or fresh gooseberry or raspberry etc. If you make the same wines every year you can lock in your benches & the tools you always use, I change the country wines every season so flexibility is a key.

Ah, a basement, yes that is nice. I live in South Texas, basements are in commercial buildings, none in homes. The house contractors wouldn't know how. :mny We have no freeze lines so the ground doesn't get dug out to set a foundation. A floor drain certainly would be handy.

a basement, I live in South Texas, basements are in commercial buildings, none in homes.
south Texas, HUM,
when I lived in Houston Heights a few houses had them, and then again ones close to the bayou would flood every hurricane.

AND Houston had surface water so the winery and food lab would have carbon filtered water.

@ratflinger and @winemaker81 you both mentioned a double sink. Some people on this forum mentioned that they are using a large laundry sink. Do you think that a double sink has significant advantages over that? Either way, I need a sink large enough for 5 gal buckets and carboys.

I will keep watch on Craig's list for a commercial sink.
20210314_163523.jpg
installing a comercial sink was a game changer for me for sure. You will not regret being able to fit a carboy under the faucet and the overhead sprayer is sweet.

Mine is large enough to drain a 7.9 gallon primary upside down, and easily fits a carboy, and can soak 8 bottles in one side of the sink. The advantage of a double sink is you can do 2 different things at the same time.

On the flip side, laundry sinks tend to be deeper, so you can completely submerge larger objects.

Unfortunately, fiberglass laundry sinks can't handle abuse the way stainless steel can. Circa 1990, an acquaintance dropped a full carboy in a laundry sink -- the carboy went through the sink and shattered on a cement floor. This turned me off the idea of a laundry sink, as if I lose grip on a full carboy, I'll be replacing the carboy and wine, not the sink as well, and cleaning up less mess. [It's entirely possible that today's laundry sinks are sturdier, but I have not researched it.]

YMMV

View attachment 81917
I use the same sink outside in my vineyard/garden area to clean carboys, etc. If you use treated support posts for the legs the thing is good for almost forever. A frost free hydrant comes up the back for the water so it works out well.

I find it interesting no one has said a floor drain yet.
Number one is storage area, you will never have enough as for full carboys/ empty glass/ pumps/ filtration/ fruit press/ cases of bottles. Storage can be lesser grade as formica or wire racks. #2 is a wet process area which is smaller than storage, I like stainless but the key is being able to clean it, yup I have cleaned both walls and floor. A lot of my transfers are gravity with vacuum assistance so I have milk crates and metal stands to adjust height.
View attachment 81984
#3 is a dry chemical/ sugar/ weighing/ lab test area. My Chemical bench is the smallest section. Some club folks keep a desk with the chromatography or Hacch meter
View attachment 81986
#4 some club members have a display area for ribbons.

A lot of what you need is based on your style. One club member has a chest freezer to precipitate tartrates from northern hybrid grapes. I do a lot of country wines so I wind up having a freezer with five gallons of rhubarb juice or grape or fresh gooseberry or raspberry etc. If you make the same wines every year you can lock in your benches & the tools you always use, I change the country wines every season so flexibility is a key.

That is one wicked mad scientist setup you have there!! I don’t see ever getting that technical with my wine production but very cool nonetheless.

This is a transmission jack from Harbor Freight. I raise and lower with a drill.
Brilliant! Looks like you removed the casters and bolted the jack to a wooden platform. Did you build the platform from 2 by lumber? Can't tell from the picture but did you re-mount the casters on the bottom of the platform so that you could move it around your space? What type of drill is required to raise and lower the unit? I see what appears to be a DeWalt drill on the bench. Could you post some more close up pictures of the stand? That is ingenious!

Is this the jack in question?

450 lb. Low Lift Transmission Jack (harborfreight.com)

Brilliant! Looks like you removed the casters and bolted the jack to a wooden platform. Did you build the platform from 2 by lumber? Can't tell from the picture but did you re-mount the casters on the bottom of the platform so that you could move it around your space? What type of drill is required to raise and lower the unit? I see what appears to be a DeWalt drill on the bench. Could you post some more close up pictures of the stand? That is ingenious!

Is this the jack in question?

450 lb. Low Lift Transmission Jack (harborfreight.com)
Yes That is the jack.
The drill is a 3/8 battery powered but 1/2 would be better. Going up with a full carboy/fermenter sometimes get wobbly so I steady the carboy/fermenter with my left hand while raising.
I did not use the casters but that's not a bad ideal. I'll have to look for them.
2x12 base, plywood and 2x4. My highest counter top is 36" so everything was figured to get to that height.
Like a lot of us young guys in our 7th decade, lifting full carboys/fermenters is not going to happen.

Attachments

• IMG_7544.JPG
    IMG_7544.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7542.JPG
    IMG_7542.JPG
    347.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7541.JPG
    IMG_7541.JPG
    349.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7537.JPG
    IMG_7537.JPG
    392.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7548.JPG
    IMG_7548.JPG
    440.5 KB · Views: 39
I started with the traditional laundry sink which had a fixed water spout too low for a Carboy to fit. I was lucky to find a commercial 2 large bowl sink w/ sides of all places, at my local brew shop. The owner had one sitting in his garage unused for years 👌 I started with this:
1640873938043.jpeg
and now have this to work with
1640873865595.jpeg
I had to place the sink on blocks to have proper drainage when tying into the existing drain. The side benefit is much easier on my back!

As for work space, the cabinets were repurposed to the basement when the kitchen was remodeled, so I’m using slat wall for hanging storage along with the cabinets. I have a large table in the center of the work area which I keep working & aging Carboys with empties below in milk crates.
1640874017912.jpeg
I also installed a wire grid above the work table using bungee cords to help manage the AIO pump hoses and to keep things organized.
1640874098708.jpeg
this is a long way from my first batch in the kitchen & dining room 👍

Attachments

• 1640873809464.jpeg
    1640873809464.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back