New wine room build - planning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All really, really, nice.

Cooling?

Humidification?

Sorry if I missed it.

Seth

All really, really, nice.

Cooling?

Humidification?

Sorry if I missed it.

Seth

I got the Winezone ductless split cooler from Winecellarinnovations.
For humidity I have a 4 gallon evaporative unit in one corner which only needs fillups every month or so. And the smaller black ultrasonic one in the opposite corner set on its lowest setting. Keeps it 65-75% and really only have to think about it weekly to make sure the smaller one doesnt run out of water.

I had closed cell spray foam to insulate the room and it really was a fantastic decision. The main unit runs very occasionally and it keeps the temp at 55 perfectly.

Beautiful storage area. All of it, actually. But I really love that storage area.

For humidity I have a 4 gallon evaporative unit in one corner which only needs fillups every month or so. And the smaller black ultrasonic one in the opposite corner set on its lowest setting. Keeps it 65-75% and really only have to think about it weekly to make sure the smaller one doesnt run out of water.

I had closed cell spray foam to insulate the room and it really was a fantastic decision. The main unit runs very occasionally and it keeps the temp at 55 perfectly.

Do you have an Ink-Bird or other controller for the humidity level or do the units just run all the time?

I have an ink bird on the evaporative cooler. The other one I just leave at it's lowest settting.

What did the cooling unit run you?

Where are you located?

Too cold in Syracuse for a split.

My new cellar is insulated with double layers of 2" RMAX. The portable AC (11000 BTU) keeps it at 55 easily.

I just installed a 6 gal evaporative unit as well. I think I may loop the drainage from the AC into that. I want to setup an autofill, but it may not be worth it.

I will post some shots of my new cellar as soon as I can get my act together.

im in process of making a wine closet, hardest thing so far has been my house being built in the 60s doesn't have a 90 angle in it anywhere, and finding a straight stud at home depot is near impossible...

im in process of making a wine closet, hardest thing so far has been my house being built in the 60s doesn't have a 90 angle in it anywhere, and finding a straight stud at home depot is near impossible...

If you dig long enough and deep enough you can find straight studs at HD or Lowes. I have better luck at Lowes. But when you get them home, nail them up as fast as possible to prevent warping and bowing unless they are perfectly dry.

im using the studs for verticle supports tied into the floor joists in my basement in a u shape around the door of the closet, the actual shelving is 3/4 pine I used a 3in hole saw on and cut down the middle...got the led lighting today, hopefully will hold about 18 cases when done.. the pictures show my progress...its slow going bc my wife doesnt like the smell of stain and acrylic with my five yr old (I kinda enjoy it)20190221_220440.jpg 20190221_220434.jpg 20190221_220428.jpg

What did the cooling unit run you?

Where are you located?

Too cold in Syracuse for a split.

My new cellar is insulated with double layers of 2" RMAX. The portable AC (11000 BTU) keeps it at 55 easily.

I just installed a 6 gal evaporative unit as well. I think I may loop the drainage from the AC into that. I want to setup an autofill, but it may not be worth it.

I will post some shots of my new cellar as soon as I can get my act together.

I am near Frederick Maryland
The cooler runs around $4500 when sales are running. Now this is the largest they offer and is good for rooms up to 3500cf. I decided to spend more up front for a larger unit so it doesn't have to run as often. So far I have not seen any significant increase in electric bills. In fact the basement area I had the spray insulation done on all out side walls instead of the foam board insulation. The wine room was put in extra thick on the walls and ceiling. I painted some areas of the bare concrete with Drylock when I was prepping the are but the spray insulation doubled as a vapor barrier as well.

My wife comments that the basement is warmer then the upstairs with all the windows and doors and the section of the house above the new finished part of the basement is warmer too. Best insulation decision, worth every penny.

Progress is slow, but the main shelving is almost done, added led strip lighting on the backside to help light up the glass...still need to make each part 1 at a time from the arching of the verticle supports changing width of each shelf..
All in all I'm happy..not really fancy but it'll be functional and still look nice when I'm done I think

Attachments

• 20190314_202741.jpg
    20190314_202741.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 20190314_202825.jpg
    20190314_202825.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 121
  • 20190314_202835.jpg
    20190314_202835.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Progress is slow, but the main shelving is almost done, added led strip lighting on the backside to help light up the glass...still need to make each part 1 at a time from the arching of the verticle supports changing width of each shelf..
All in all I'm happy..not really fancy but it'll be functional and still look nice when I'm done I think

I'd call it more then functional, looks very nice.

Probably shouldnt be testing the structural integrity with good wine, but I wanted to see how the back lighting looked on the different bottles

Attachments

• 20190317_200519.jpg
    20190317_200519.jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 86
Brewbush... love the style for your wine cellar and racks. I just got myself a book "The Homebuilt Winery" which as a ton of wine equipment to make, including racks for a cellar so it should keep me busy :)

I built my wine room a few years ago, it was a winter project. it's a bit messy in these pics but normally always clean. My slop sink is just around the corner, outside of the room but close enough. The room is a 12' x 18' area. It's my little get away when I need to take a break from the world. I need to start bottling soon since we start making wine in September

Attachments

• wine room 1.jpg
    wine room 1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 72
  • wine room 2.jpg
    wine room 2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 66
  • wine room 3.jpg
    wine room 3.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 66
  • wine room 4.jpg
    wine room 4.jpg