New wine room build - planning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an update, spray foam to be installed beginning of march. So now working on drywall. Lighting and electrical are done. This is going slow since I am converting the entire unfinished part of my basement into functional space.

One quick question on drywall, Is there any issue with using a product such as Densglass sheathing as the board in the wine room? It has better moisture resistance. I wasnt sure if there were any chemicals in that product I may not know about?

One quick question on drywall, Is there any issue with using a product such as Densglass sheathing as the board in the wine room? It has better moisture resistance. I wasnt sure if there were any chemicals in that product I may not know about?

Don’t know about the chemicals in it. But definitely way overkill. Densglass is strictly exterior behind brick or drive-it walls. Waterproofing and spray insulation with green board is more than enough.
Plus it’s hell on earth cutting. Itchy for days.

Great point Fred. Would likely create more hassle than any extra benefit. Also thicker than typical wallboard. Making for funky wall thickness if ordering any prehung door units.
But to b honest I’m unfamiliar with how much moisture a cold room would actually produce. But even in aquatic fitness rooms (pool within tight quarters) greenboard and vapor barrier was the extent.

Great point Fred. Would likely create more hassle than any extra benefit. Also thicker than typical wallboard. Making for funky wall thickness if ordering any prehung door units.
But to b honest I’m unfamiliar with how much moisture a cold room would actually produce. But even in aquatic fitness rooms (pool within tight quarters) greenboard and vapor barrier was the extent.

There is. DensGlas board available that doesn’t have the fibrous covering on it, finishes just like drywall, we use it in commercial applications in moisture areas all of the time, no worries. You can also consider using MR boards, also for wet areas, it also has good moisture and mold resistance, I used it in my wine room, it’s usually purple or green in color.

Great, thanks for the input. Will stick with regular green boards.

This area is heated, at least I had some ducts placed that tied into the main floor ventilation. Everything was balanced.
Would you still put insulation between the floor joists in the ceiling of the basement? If so, would you just do a normal pink batting that I will be using on some of the interior walls?

Here are some updated pictures

Had 1/2 of drywall done. I divided my unfinished basement into a large closet to store wine and beer making items where I can double as a small work room for storage, transferring, and even cheesemaking.

The large room will be a sitting area. Couches ordered.

On one side I will have my exercise room. Rubber flooring.

The other is my wine room.

The blue door is an odd shaped 3x3 corner in the foundation that will be a cigar humidor.

Next step is March 8 on schedule for spray foam insulation. Then 2nd half of drywall to be done.

IMG_1548.jpgIMG_1551.jpgIMG_1552.jpgIMG_1553.jpgIMG_1554.jpgIMG_1555.jpg

Here are some updated pictures

Had 1/2 of drywall done. I divided my unfinished basement into a large closet to store wine and beer making items where I can double as a small work room for storage, transferring, and even cheesemaking.

The large room will be a sitting area. Couches ordered.

On one side I will have my exercise room. Rubber flooring.

The other is my wine room.

The blue door is an odd shaped 3x3 corner in the foundation that will be a cigar humidor.

Next step is March 8 on schedule for spray foam insulation. Then 2nd half of drywall to be done.

View attachment 46795View attachment 46796View attachment 46797View attachment 46798View attachment 46799View attachment 46800

Sounds like a solid plan with lots of venues, and looking good!!

Seriously.. The best feature is the double doors to the outside! Looks like it opens at ground level. I can not tell you how important that is (being able to wheel things in and out)!!!!

Dont move the post.
Refer to building plan or an engineer
If the post is original to the structure, it most likly sits on a pad deeper than the depth of the floor. Moving it would require cutting concrete and pouring new support pads , and spacing would need to be calculated based on what is being supported and span rating of the beam.
Perhaps you could turn it into a bottle tree or maybe build a small stage around it.
Lol.

I must agree with meadmaker1. That post is supporting your upstairs froor. My basement has two of them running the length of the house.
Wish I could get rid of them but the engineer said the alternative would be quit expensive!

Last edited:
So I have finally gotten the rooms 99% done. I still have to fill nail holes and get paint off of where it shouldnt be, recaulk some areas. Otherwise completely done and in use!!

Here is my brewing and winemaking corner, still not fully cleaned up but eventually. =)

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

My cigar area. I just put a window fan in and turn on the air purifier. Thought about a smoke eater install but didn't want to make any more holes in the brick outside for exhaust vents.

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

My to-be cigar closet. This years project. I will pick up mahogany for the walls and put up cedar shelves. This design is still a work in progress.

IMG_0254.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 70
Here is my brewing closet. A little narrow but functional for how the basement was shaped.

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

And my wine room, it holds 2500-2900 bottles. I just went with much larger then I would probably ever need, but I do not need to ever think about expanding!

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

Latest posts