New wine room build - planning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. Nice Fred. I'm glad you chimed in as I've been 90% commercial for a a while now. I enjoyed residential.
Lally (lolly?)column/support pole. The hollow pole. If it is filled with concrete it is likely on a footer. That's all that meant.
But that point is now moot anyway.

Just tell the company what r value you want and they give it. I think 2 inches = typical r-13. Diff spray companies may handle it differently. That's an easy one to ask over the phone though. And the ceiling is more for insulation and sound than vapor anyway. I really don't think nails coming through would be an issue. I guess it depends on the AC setup. Or just grab those nippers and get cutting! Seriously any prep work u do for anything anytime will always benefit you.
I really do love this aspect. Can't ya tell? :) The brainstorming/problemsolving and putting a plan together.

Question about permits:
My basement is finished otherwise. Pool table room and theater, craft room (junk room). This area is on the end of my house and is basically a 45 x 25 foot area.

Since there are permits (I assume) for the rest of the basement do I need any for this section?
If so, would you? I love paying my taxes.........

Question about permits:
My basement is finished otherwise. Pool table room and theater, craft room (junk room). This area is on the end of my house and is basically a 45 x 25 foot area.

Since there are permits (I assume) for the rest of the basement do I need any for this section?
If so, would you? I love paying my taxes.........

Not sure I am following you.... permits are not for places -- they are for projects. That is (to cite an extreme case), let's say you pulled a permit to put in one electrical outlet; the work was done and the job inspected. Then, 2 weeks later, you decide you want a 2nd outlet 2 feet away, you would have to pull another permit and have that job inspected upon completion. Does that help?

25x45 cold room cellar ?!! 1125 sq ft ? That's a small house !

that's the unfinished part total area. This area is also irregular so it is less square footage then that. The whole place is going to be wine cellar, brewing room/area with place to relax and smoke a cigar, and then a place for the exercise equipment.

Almost have partial area cleaned out. Will be heading to store for concrete floor sealer/vapor barrier and waterproofing paint for the concrete walls.

"It was for the greater good"
"This room will now get more use"
"I can put your stuff into the unfinished area where there is more natural light"
so......she won anyway =P

A couple more days and the waterproofing paint will be done.

Had to rerun my power vent pipe that originally ran across the ceiling out to where my dryer vent is venting outside. Frees up majority of the ceiling.

IMG_5915.jpg

The remainder of the area will be a sitting area, brewing area with closet to keep all my random carboys out of sight. And the opposite end will be the exercise room.

Question: The Drylock paint is a bear to work with.....so far one coat. I am planning to have spray foam insulation put in after the walls are up. Any need for a 2nd coat? The spray foam should be enough of a moisture barrier....probably didnt need the paint to begin with?

Question about the door

Any reason why I could not use a exterior patio door as a wine room entrance? Pricing out some of the "wine doors" online they seem a bit pricey. Would something with glass from Anderson be sufficient?

Those frames aren’t really made to be the only door in an opening. Just installed within an existing doorframe.
You could frame the jamb in a way to accept it, but not very ideal. More work to save $ on material. Probably a headache to case out with trim without looking funky too.
BUT... that doesn’t mean it won’t look right or can’t be done. Just gotta account for a few things when framing the wall and building the jamb.
And would you really be happy with a vinyl storm door with closers as your cellar door?

About 95% done with framing.
IMG_1253.jpg IMG_1252.jpg

Couple questions:
Cooler: I was torn between the Whisperkool ceiling unit and the units that attach to the wall. I think because of lower price I will be doing the wall mounted unit which has the evaporator and the outside condenser. The manual says for the condenser voltage is 230/208, amp max 11, fuse min 15, wire size 12-2. And the evaporator is voltage 208/240, 38 watts, fuse min 15, wire size 14-2.

I have done some googling, I am assuming I need a double pole breaker 220V for both, and that I would be safe with 20amp? However I thought for some reason that the wall evaporator only needs 110V? Especially if they are mentioning 14 gauge wire? And I am pretty sure the outside condenser is 220V, but only 12 gauge wire? I was thinking 8 gauge would be better option?

Lighting (in general)
For the lighting in the wine area specifically I need air tight and IC rated. I have found some can lights that fit this, but for LED lights the prices seem a bit much.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lightin...on/N-5yc1vZc7p1Z2bctomZ1z0ufhyZ1z10h5c?NCNI-5

I have also found these which seem to fit the bill, I assume I can use a retrofit LED module in them
https://www.pegasuslighting.com/new...nstruction-housing-for-recessed-lighting.html

Also these which may also work
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Halo-New-C...-Housing-Common-4-in-Actual-4-375-in/50149866

What lights have you put in your rooms?

And also what lights would you choose for the main basement area?

My friend is the HVAC installer. We are trying to figure out what wiring/electricity to run.

The area is about 1800 cubic feet. A self contained unit won't be able to cool that area. Plus the walls are concrete block that is partial below grade.

About 95% done with framing.
View attachment 45794 View attachment 45795

Couple questions:
Cooler: I was torn between the Whisperkool ceiling unit and the units that attach to the wall. I think because of lower price I will be doing the wall mounted unit which has the evaporator and the outside condenser. The manual says for the condenser voltage is 230/208, amp max 11, fuse min 15, wire size 12-2. And the evaporator is voltage 208/240, 38 watts, fuse min 15, wire size 14-2.

I have done some googling, I am assuming I need a double pole breaker 220V for both, and that I would be safe with 20amp? However I thought for some reason that the wall evaporator only needs 110V? Especially if they are mentioning 14 gauge wire? And I am pretty sure the outside condenser is 220V, but only 12 gauge wire? I was thinking 8 gauge would be better option?

Lighting (in general)
For the lighting in the wine area specifically I need air tight and IC rated. I have found some can lights that fit this, but for LED lights the prices seem a bit much.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lightin...on/N-5yc1vZc7p1Z2bctomZ1z0ufhyZ1z10h5c?NCNI-5

I have also found these which seem to fit the bill, I assume I can use a retrofit LED module in them
https://www.pegasuslighting.com/new...nstruction-housing-for-recessed-lighting.html

Also these which may also work
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Halo-New-C...-Housing-Common-4-in-Actual-4-375-in/50149866

What lights have you put in your rooms?

And also what lights would you choose for the main basement area?

I also installed a split type system, but ducted. My condenser was fed 208, and transformed / fed the evap in the attic. Yours sounds like it needs two feeds. Your schematics will tell the tale. Yes, they are two pole breakers, min size for each is 15, you could use 20’s, but not much bigger, and it’s always ok to use larger wire.

I found a cool, barrel hoop fixture for my room, installed LED bulbs in it. Rest of the room is lit by LED light strips, all concealed in preplanned cavities. All lighting is on dimmers. You can check them out in the link on first page of your thread.

Latest posts

Back