New Wine Room (Brew and Storage)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing! This is something to think about for sure! I don’t have a lot of cooling options other than just not heating it. I don’t have a Window so no air conditioning.

That storage room example I just found on Pinterest I think. I like the carboy storage under the wine racks but not sure if that’s the best layout. I would also have room on the brew side for them.

You don't need a window for air conditioning or refrigeration.....................

Thanks for sharing! This is something to think about for sure! I don’t have a lot of cooling options other than just not heating it. I don’t have a Window so no air conditioning.

That storage room example I just found on Pinterest I think. I like the carboy storage under the wine racks but not sure if that’s the best layout. I would also have room on the brew side for them.
Where are you located?
Can you core a hole thru the external facing wall?

Really?! I was under the impression you needed a window for air conditioning. What do you use?

I used a refrigeration system in mine, split system muchlike an A/C system in a home, just made for the temps and humidity levels of a wine room. Little condenser outside on a pad, air handling unit in the attic, ducted air supply and return from the attic unit to the room. You can get them with or without ducted supply and return, and without a window or access to the outside, the split system options are the key. Air moving equipment in the room, condenser outside is a good option as well. You can check mine out on this thread if you are interested, may have to scroll around a bit, but the pics of the system are in there............

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/new-wine-room.52998/

Really?! I was under the impression you needed a window for air conditioning. What do you use?
Agree with JonD but that's why I asked you where you live. A lot depends on the environment and winter temperatures. Split systems generally don't work where the external temperature falls significantly below freezing.

I use a single ducted portable air conditioner which when fooled keeps it at 55 degrees consistently. When that sales, I will go to a dual vented system. I can show you in, but first answer the question as to where you are.

You can also vent a window AC into another room, not optimal because the cool you get in the wine room will equal the heat you are adding in the other (plus some). However, I have a “wine box” in a garage and it survives 110 degree summer days with a $78 Walmart AC wall unit.
BA6269C8-EC31-4B5F-B05F-8E6249350C70.jpeg

Agree with JonD but that's why I asked you where you live. A lot depends on the environment and winter temperatures. Split systems generally don't work where the external temperature falls significantly below freezing.

I use a single ducted portable air conditioner which when fooled keeps it at 55 degrees consistently. When that sales, I will go to a dual vented system. I can show you in, but first answer the question as to where you are.

Gotcha! Thanks! I live in Canada, BC (not Vancouver). temperatures range from 20 above Celsius to 20 below Celsius with spikes in the thirties on either side from time to time.

10 foot by 9 foot seems too small to divide with a wall. The 10 foot wall with racking will hold close to 1,000 bottles (16 bottles per sqft). I’d also look to make a very long work bench with carboy/bucket storage underneath, a sink area and leaving the center of the room open to work.
Small spaces turn into hallways!
4 ft wide wine storage is a 3 ft hallway with 12 inches for storage. The space is too tight to be comfortable. Try the width with cardboard first!
6 ft wide is a 3 ft hall plus a 2 ft bench plus 12 inches of bookshelf.
The center wall will be in the way.
A flexible option is the storage (2 ft) with floor to ceiling sliding closet doors and work bench ( all work benches) which is on wheels, plus a small SS apartment sink on wheels with 5 gal slop bucket. Plumbing? make it a column.

Last edited:
Gotcha! Thanks! I live in Canada, BC (not Vancouver). temperatures range from 20 above Celsius to 20 below Celsius with spikes in the thirties on either side from time to time.
Then you can't use a split system.
Can you bore a 6-8" hole in your exterior wall?

Small spaces turn into hallways!
4 ft wide wine storage is a 3 ft hallway with 12 inches for storage. The space is too tight to be comfortable. Try the width with cardboard first!
6 ft wide is a 3 ft hall plus a 2 ft bench plus 12 inches of bookshelf.
The center wall will be in the way.
A flexible option is the storage (2 ft) with floor to ceiling sliding closet doors and work bench ( all work benches) which is on wheels, plus a small SS apartment sink on wheels with 5 gal slop bucket. Plumbing? make it a column.

I think maybe I feel like it’s so much room because it’s 2-3x what I had before and my own dedicated space! I’ll head downstairs with some wine boxes once the kiddos are down for a nap to try to mockup the space a bit before it’s too late to make any other changes.

Thankfully the contractor is my uncle :)

Mayyybe - thanks for the suggestion! Maybe something I can do down the track.
Agree that you should try and make it larger if you can.

If you can punch thru the wall and put at least a 6" duct thru, now is the time to do it. Just make sure you have a proper power circuit to handle an AC unit at that location. Then you can use a portable AC, if single duct, then duct out the exhaust. If dual duct, then the exhaust goes out, and the intake can go thru the wall and draw from your adjoining room.

You can then easily fool the AC sensor so it can bring it down to 55° F.

Agree that you should try and make it larger if you can.

If you can punch thru the wall and put at least a 6" duct thru, now is the time to do it. Just make sure you have a proper power circuit to handle an AC unit at that location. Then you can use a portable AC, if single duct, then duct out the exhaust. If dual duct, then the exhaust goes out, and the intake can go thru the wall and draw from your adjoining room.

You can then easily fool the AC sensor so it can bring it down to 55° F.
Flexibility will always make the future easier, , ex work’s pilot plant had a loop with electric, air, gas, etc with capped places to tap in if there was a new toy. Easy wash down is FRP dairy board or shower board on Sheetrock. I like holes and unused conduit for future flexibility ex running 3/8 inch tubing/ PEX. An off the shelf way to get rid of water is a condensate pump, just no solids!
BC is cool much of the year. In the Midwest I run a dehumidifier in the basement half the year and Wish I had enough refrigeration to contain a primary/ carboy for temp control. When I have run 10C ferments they are in the garage fridge. When I lived in Texas I would have planned ac.
Dreams are fun! :b Expect new toys in the next 10 years.
This may not add value to your house.:mny A realtor suggested removing a greenhouse would bring a higher sales price.

Latest posts

Back