New Wine Room (Brew and Storage)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsJones

Reaction score
Hi All!

We're doing a full basement renovation - bedrooms, bathroom etc. etc. and I'm carving out a space for brewing, bottling and storing. I have some flexibility in the size, but taking more space for my wine room means stealing it from a bedroom or living room. I got the idea from another poster here (@KennyM), but wanted to get your thoughts as we're in very early stages (demo).

I attached a full floor plan for our basement and then a zoomed in of what I'm looking at for the brew room and storage.

Attachments

• 2018-10-16 08.16.16.jpg
    2018-10-16 08.16.16.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 315
  • 2018-10-16 08.16.07.jpg
    2018-10-16 08.16.07.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 306
Taking on a nice sized project Mrs Jones! I’m sure your excited. I know I would be.

If I could offer just 1 simple suggestion based off your site plan (which you did a great job on btw. Gives everything needed) it would be to swap the guest bedroom and wineroom
As is, the wineroom would be tight. But if in the ‘guest BR’ your bottle storage could go on either wall since there’s x2 window options for AC to exhaust to make it temp controlled. And also much easier water/drain access on the washer/dryer wall to have a sink in your wine room. New room build? Gotta have a sink!
Just my $0.02. Good luck

Last edited:
I agree on the sink, to do so much and still pack water, or hardware to it would be a shame. Guests might get to comfortable and stay too long in a big room anyway.
1 question. How are you going to defend your wine if it is stashed with the guns.

Taking on a nice sized project Mrs Jones! I’m sure your excited. I know I would be.

If I could offer just 1 simple suggestion based off your site plan (which you did a great job on btw. Gives everything needed) it would be to swap the guest bedroom and wineroom
As is, the wineroom would be tight. But if in the ‘guest BR’ your bottle storage could go on either wall since there’s x2 window options for AC to exhaust to make it temp controlled. And also much easier water/drain access on the washer/dryer wall to have a sink in your wine room. New room build? Gotta have a sink!
Just my $0.02. Good luck

Thank you for the suggestion!!! My contractor suggested the layout because we need windows for the bedrooms. I might go back and ask him what it would take to add a window.

I agree on the sink, to do so much and still pack water, or hardware to it would be a shame. Guests might get to comfortable and stay too long in a big room anyway.
1 question. How are you going to defend your wine if it is stashed with the guns.

Haha thanks for weighing in. I absolutely need a sink in there. We figured put all the things that children can’t access together. That door will have extra locks :)

Just my $0.02. Good luck

Looks like you had already commented on my post back in October when we were early planning. We weren’t able to switch the rooms around because of windows but I do have another foot or so on the wine room now!

Small world!

Are you still all set with the initial plan or have there been major changes made?

Mostly - I think I have an extra foot now for the storage space now. My big thought today is maybe I should do a pocket door instead of a walk through so I can have more temperature control orrr close it off completely and use the door in the hallway so I have that full wall for storage...

Any thoughts?

Mostly - I think I have an extra foot now for the storage space now. My big thought today is maybe I should do a pocket door instead of a walk through so I can have more temperature control orrr close it off completely and use the door in the hallway so I have that full wall for storage...

Any thoughts?

Orr lose the hallway door to storage and do pocket between storage and brew...

Orr lose the hallway door to storage and do pocket between storage and brew...

Nice catch. I like this 2nd idea to ditch the hallway and put a pocket door inside.
Just a little tip for the wall that gets the pocket door. If you plan on hanging cabinetry or racks to the section of wall where the door sits when in the ‘open’ position, the wall is kinda flimsy when using the standard pocket door framing packs.
Often we end up building another 2x3 wall in front of it or pack it out with furring strips or sideways 2x’s to strengthen for cabinetry.

Nice catch. I like this 2nd idea to ditch the hallway and put a pocket door inside.
Just a little tip for the wall that gets the pocket door. If you plan on hanging cabinetry or racks to the section of wall where the door sits when in the ‘open’ position, the wall is kinda flimsy when using the standard pocket door framing packs.
Often we end up building another 2x3 wall in front of it or pack it out with furring strips or sideways 2x’s to strengthen for cabinetry.

Thank you! I’ll have a think about that. I think at most it would have some kind of leg board for tools but I’ll still need to be careful. Will talk to my contractor about it (my Uncle).

10 foot by 9 foot seems too small to divide with a wall. The 10 foot wall with racking will hold close to 1,000 bottles (16 bottles per sqft). I’d also look to make a very long work bench with carboy/bucket storage underneath, a sink area and leaving the center of the room open to work.

IMG_2273.JPG

Framing for this space has started! We did wind up going with the pocket door so I can manage heat in the two spaces differently. It won’t be perfect without a window but it’s 100x better than what I had. We had to do some wall in the middle to accommodate the plumbing for the sink

So exciting! When I get downstairs later today I’ll do some more measurements so I see the final foot print I’m working with.

10 foot by 9 foot seems too small to divide with a wall. The 10 foot wall with racking will hold close to 1,000 bottles (16 bottles per sqft). I’d also look to make a very long work bench with carboy/bucket storage underneath, a sink area and leaving the center of the room open to work.

I’m thinking of a rack something like this

IMG_2174.JPG

View attachment 53272

Framing for this space has started! We did wind up going with the pocket door so I can manage heat in the two spaces differently. It won’t be perfect without a window but it’s 100x better than what I had. We had to do some wall in the middle to accommodate the plumbing for the sink

So exciting! When I get downstairs later today I’ll do some more measurements so I see the final foot print I’m working with.

Love it. Looking forward to following along as you post with more updates.

Where did your pic of the storage come from? I find it extraordinary that they built those on wheels!

How are you cooling the storage space?

I realize you are framed, but the pocket door will likely present an issue in the future as you can't seal it properly. You can have the door swing into the brew room, not scre up your storage or cooling depending on what is where, and use exterior rated doors for all.

You can use a windowed door if you like, into your hall, as I did.cellar1.jpg

Where did your pic of the storage come from? I find it extraordinary that they built those on wheels!

How are you cooling the storage space?

I realize you are framed, but the pocket door will likely present an issue in the future as you can't seal it properly. You can have the door swing into the brew room, not scre up your storage or cooling depending on what is where, and use exterior rated doors for all.

You can use a windowed door if you like, into your hall, as I did.View attachment 53280

Thanks for sharing! This is something to think about for sure! I don’t have a lot of cooling options other than just not heating it. I don’t have a Window so no air conditioning.

That storage room example I just found on Pinterest I think. I like the carboy storage under the wine racks but not sure if that’s the best layout. I would also have room on the brew side for them.

Latest posts

Back