New wine maker/winery-in-progress

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkearney

Writer turned Vintner
Reaction score
I've been reading and not posted. Thought I should introduce myself. In October 2016, when I started in wine, I was representing/introducing other wine brands to the public. I started pouring my Sangria by-the-glass as an after thought. It took off. After several months, people wanted to take it home. By June 2017, we were using mason jars to achieve this goal. In August 2017, I made some Chilean Merlot. I let it sit for 6 months. It tasted great. I sold out. I have 1 bottle left to open this August! After, our 1 year anniversary, I started making 7 variertals. In Feb 2018, I obtained a federal permit and unfortunately getting a state permit requires me to produce in a commercial space. It sucks as a federal permit allows home commercial production. In order for us to move into farmers markets and have our wine in locale restaurants getting the state permit is necessary. I've been looking at a space that would give me a basement production area (temperature remains 55 year round) and a upper level tasting room. I think in terms of how many cases/bottles must be sold. A second space I just looked at would provide us with a production only space. This would allow me to grow and earn before taking on the added expense of a tasting room. I appreciate all the great advice, experiences shared and everyone in this group. Thank you so much! I look forward to learning so much more.

Love the story! The state, county and city laws, permits and ordinances create big time and expense barriers for our area, requiring a significant volume to even approach breaking even. Best of luck to you!

Love the story! The state, county and city laws, permits and ordinances create big time and expense barriers for our area, requiring a significant volume to even approach breaking even. Best of luck to you!
Thank you! I agree the laws are unnecessarily restrictive. I live in the midwest.

Would love to hear more details. My wife and I would love opening a small tasting room with options to buy bottles. We don't want a full production operation, just something small I can handle for production and she can handle for sales/pourings. We are in MA. I am pretty sure I can get a federal permit, but then the state and town permits become problematic. This would be something new for my town and my town isn't known for being progressive - basically if the pilgrims didn't need it on the Mayflower why do we need it now?

basically if the pilgrims didn't need it on the Mayflower why do we need it now?

So, your town should be fine with a store selling candle-snuffers, then? :) (Surely among the silliest things carried by a band of people moving to a wilderness area, especially considering the essentials that they did NOT bring!)

The federal permit is very easy to obtain. Making sure the locals are happy is another. I know of a ‘winery’ here local in Oregon that operated for two years until the OLCC (local liquor license) got word and shut them down instantly. I say ‘winery’ because they weren’t licensed at ANY level and NONE of their wine met TTB labeling standards.
Ultimately they didn’t pay their taxes (duh) and the business closed.

It’s worth mentioning they were totally under the radar until THEY invited a local news station out to interview them and bring in new business.

It’s worth mentioning they were totally under the radar until THEY invited a local news station out to interview them and bring in new business.
I think that is the downfall of many small business owners. That feeling of invincibility and wanting to tell the world. There are far too many people sitting back watching and waiting to cut you down - - or steal your secrets.

I think that is the downfall of many small business owners. That feeling of invincibility and wanting to tell the world. There are far too many people sitting back watching and waiting to cut you down - - or steal your secrets.
I think many times it is either something like a news broadcast that gets attention or it is an industry member who casually calls the authorities and says, "I see ABC doing XYZ; why can't I?" And that will get the attention. Many of these agencies do not have the funding or the manpower to go out and proactively look for violations.

Good luck with the commercial operation. I'm on the journey myself in your western neighbor state. I just turned my license/zoning application into the city yesterday. It certainly helps that a few of the people on the zoning commission have sampled my wine. I've got the state ready to mail out next week as well. I feel like I've spent more time researching compliance and red tape than I have making or studying wine.

Best of luck finding a space and getting going!

Good luck with the commercial operation. I'm on the journey myself in your western neighbor state. I just turned my license/zoning application into the city yesterday. It certainly helps that a few of the people on the zoning commission have sampled my wine. I've got the state ready to mail out next week as well. I feel like I've spent more time researching compliance and red tape than I have making or studying wine.

Best of luck finding a space and getting going!
Success and blessings to you on your journey!

Latest posts

Back