New wine maker in Sumatra.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subseageorge

Reaction score
Hi I am George, I am a Scottish expat living in North Sumatra, thought i would start making wine with my spare time as fruit is very plentiful and very cheap here. (Wine is also expensive)

Hi I am George, I am a Scottish expat living in North Sumatra, thought i would start making wine with my spare time as fruit is very plentiful and very cheap here. (Wine is also expensive)
Welcome to the Winemaking Forum, George. You've got he right idea about using all that inexpensive fruit to make expensive wine. However, you may have a problem in getting the winemaking supplies you need. I'm not sure how available wine yeast and some of the chemicals we use in winemaking are in Sumatra.

Welcome to the Winemaking Forum, George. You've got he right idea about using all that inexpensive fruit to make expensive wine. However, you may have a problem in getting the winemaking supplies you need. I'm not sure how available wine yeast and some of the chemicals we use in winemaking are in Sumatra.

Hi Ron, Yes you are spot on, Several items i had to buy on amazon US and shipped in. Which makes them expensive. But this can be reduced with bulk to a certain degree. I also buy yeast etc (Small size items) When i am visiting family in Scotland and take them back with me. (I have been planning on starting this for a while but never had the time.)

You can get yeasts here but they are for making rice wine. I assume they are not the same.

Fantastic forum, so much information it is a lot to take in. But i am learning quickly.

Back