New wine maker in MD

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HanksHill

Reaction score
Hello all -

New winemakers here. Some people might call us crazy but we are starting big. We will likely buy fruit (hopefully from the Virginia or western MD area) for the first few years but are also in the process of planing 100 vines with room for more. We won't plant til Spring but I've been busy with the mini excavator terracing a hillside, installing trellises etc. We plan to plant mostly Cab Franc and some Cab Sauv, both of which produce nice peppery reds in our region but also some experimental plantings of Blaufrankisch and Zweigelt (two Austrian red varietals). Looking forward to learning from everyone.

Welcome and good luck. What part of Maryland?
I have an acre of vines in the mountains of Southwest Virginia. Are you tapping any vineyard resources? Extension service? Maryland grower association? Other growers? VaTech Research Team? I encourage you to do so before moving much further with variety choice and planting. The popular varieties may not be suited to your location. Maryland is a varied as Virginia; the Western mountains are vastly different than the Eastern Shore.

Welcome. I am also in Maryland, have also bought from Washington Winemakers and S&S. Depending on where you are and how far you drive, there are several other options.

Hello all -

New winemakers here. Some people might call us crazy but we are starting big. We will likely buy fruit (hopefully from the Virginia or western MD area) for the first few years but are also in the process of planing 100 vines with room for more. We won't plant til Spring but I've been busy with the mini excavator terracing a hillside, installing trellises etc. We plan to plant mostly Cab Franc and some Cab Sauv, both of which produce nice peppery reds in our region but also some experimental plantings of Blaufrankisch and Zweigelt (two Austrian red varietals). Looking forward to learning from everyone.
Where'd you get the Zweigelt? Somewhere that ships bare root?

Welcome, Virginia here! You may have trouble getting a quality Cab Sauv in our area. Cab Franc could do fine as well as Petite Verdot. For whites I would recommend Viognier, Petit Manseng and Chardonnay. I also use Washington Winemakers and S&S. If you want to buy local grapes I recommend you develop a relationship with the local wineries and vineyards, most don't want to sell to home winemakers.

Latest posts

Back