New Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwerth

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a lot done today - 50 holes dug, and 50 Brianna vines planted.
All vines looked good and healthy.
Photos do not really show those little sticks well.
Vineyard 1.jpg

To do for phase 1 (the rest of this year):
Trellis post holes dug and placed
Irrigation line run
Trellis wire
Deer fencing

Phase 2 (Next year):
Marquette / Frontenac / ItascaVineyard 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I have the same vines, plus Petite Pearl. How many vines are in your plan?

Also, I would control vegetation around the vines a little further. I sprayed a two-foot wide strip and keep it free of plants to reduce competition.

I will definitely be doing more weed control, that is for certain. I had intended to have more prep work done, but life has a way of laughing at your plans - work has been a bit nuts.
I am looking at adding another 150 vines or so. Way more than I need, but they are so much cheaper to purchase in bulk, and I am fully expecting some significant winter kill. I technically have the room for ~2.5 acres under vine with a boutique winery, but county/HOA restrictions will not allow that.

but life has a way of laughing at your plans
Tell me about it. I pulled into the driveway this afternoon to see my daughter run out of the house and frantically turn off the hose. She yelled there was water pouring out of the basement ceiling. Spent the rest of the evening cutting and capping the water lines to the upstairs bathroom. Now I get to tear open a wall to replace some pipes🤬

Luckily it only leaked about 5 gallons of water. If nobody was home It would have been much worse!

Tell me about it. I pulled into the driveway this afternoon to see my daughter run out of the house and frantically turn off the hose. She yelled there was water pouring out of the basement ceiling. Spent the rest of the evening cutting and capping the water lines to the upstairs bathroom. Now I get to tear open a wall to replace some pipes🤬

Luckily it only leaked about 5 gallons of water. If nobody was home It would have been much worse!
Glad you got that damage contained. Still, it will not be too much fun to deal with.

What zone are you in? I imagine winter lows in Wyoming will be the limiting factor. It’s been a long time since I’ve been there. I find treeless landscape both stark and beautiful at the same time.

And 50 a day is pretty good if you’re digging the old fashioned way.

What zone are you in? I imagine winter lows in Wyoming will be the limiting factor. It’s been a long time since I’ve been there. I find treeless landscape both stark and beautiful at the same time.

And 50 a day is pretty good if you’re digging the old fashioned way.
Yep, it was the old fashioned way. We are 4B. According to Double A where I got my vines, we should be ok. And yeah, the winter lows (like last winter) were pretty bad. Our winter here in Gillette was not as bad as Casper where they broke about all the records, but it was still pretty chilly.

Fifty holes in a day is definitively real digging!

I‘d add in those trellis stakes as the next step - those little sticks have a way of turning into vines overnight. You’ll want to give them something to hang onto. I used six foot sticks of rebar for the short stakes and T posts every fourth vine to support the trellis wires.

You might also consider grow tubes or cartons these early days. Keeps the deer and other critters off the new growth at first.

Fifty holes in a day is definitively real digging!

I‘d add in those trellis stakes as the next step - those little sticks have a way of turning into vines overnight. You’ll want to give them something to hang onto. I used six foot sticks of rebar for the short stakes and T posts every fourth vine to support the trellis wires.

You might also consider grow tubes or cartons these early days. Keeps the deer and other critters off the new growth at first.
Yep, I am planning on adding stakes for them either today or tomorrow. Ground mounting the irrigation hoses will be done either today or tomorrow. Posts for trellis wires, trellis wires, and mounting the drip irrigation hoses will be done in a couple weeks, as I have a couple other projects that need to get done in the next couple weekends.

Latest posts

Back