New vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled a couple cuttings today to see how things were progressing. Looks like they are callousing ok, but I think I'll let them go another week before potting them.
SmartSelect_20200202-121942_Gallery.jpg

The cuttings I just stuck in the pot seem to be doing well.. being they are just rootstock callousing might not be necessary??
Time will tell....
20200202_121246.jpg

I dug up the rootstock cuttings I had just stuck into a pot and replanted them into tree pots.
Sure enough they did have roots.:)20200205_122337.jpg

Also pulled the Marquette and potted them up.
They seemed to have calloused ok and had a couple bits of roots showing.
I really hope these take ok....
20200205_122342.jpg

How long did it take to get the propagation license from U Minn for the Marquette cuttings? Is it only $200 for the license if you are propagating for own use? That would be worth the cost for more than 50 vines if the cuttings root well and survive.

How long did it take to get the propagation license from U Minn for the Marquette cuttings? Is it only $200 for the license if you are propagating for own use? That would be worth the cost for more than 50 vines if the cuttings root well and survive.

I ordered those cuttings online...

Ok so now I'm second guessing myself.
The cuttings I took and just stuck into the pot are doing well, but I'm seeing flower clusters on them?? Pretty sure they were the 101-14 but i didnt label them and i thought the 101-14 was a sterile variety??
Ok so what do you think of this? Finger for size reference lol...
20200211_112229.jpg

That's normal for cuttings. They are ideally 1 year old wood, so some of those buds are always going to be flower clusters. 101-14 isn't sterile, it's female. It requires a pollinator.

But, any fruit set on a 101-14 will absolutely be a crossing of it and whatever parent pollinated it.

All grapes set flower clusters, but some varieties are perfect flowered and self pollinating, some are male (3309C comes to mind), and some are female (101-14 MGT, 1616C, LS-50, MN1047)

Just pinch off the flower clusters as soon as they are big enough to deal with, as they sap energy that the cutting needs to use for roots and shoots.

Latest posts

Back