New vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I bought an old farmhouse in 2018 with 5 acres of ground and was trying to decide what to do with the ground rather than just keeping it mowed. A friend said I should plant a vineyard and I kinda shrugged it off at first, but after doing some research it seemed doable.
In the summer of 2018 I set in a few test vines to see how things would go and did everything wrong killing all the plantings.
So along comes spring of 2019. Armed with six months more knowledge than before I planted Shiraz, Brianna, Enchantment, and some 101-14 rootstock. Just 5 of each to see how things would go. This time they took off and did well.
This week I have been pruning and taking some cuttings to propagate some more plants for this spring. I'm currently callusing them off and will be transferring them into tree pots to grow them out before moving them outdoors.
I've also ordered a few cuttings of Marquette and Landot noir to trial this year.
I went to a pruning seminar over the weekend at a local winery Chateau de blue and they were kind enough to provide me some cuttings of their Cab Frank. Nice place and well worth the trip.
This will be a 3 acre hobby vineyard and I hope to collect and plant some of the older more obscure varieties of vinefra, although procuring them is proving difficult and slow going. But this is something I will be building over the course of a few years, so no hurry.
Anyway, here's a few pictures of the first row I put in last year, its 360' long and will be dedicated to rootstock plants in the upcoming years as it is a bit shaded on the end.
This year I hope to get two to four more trellis in and the same in following years...

Anyone have any obscure vinefra cuttings the want to part with??

20190530_125743.jpg

My tree pots showed up yesterday. These will be used to grow the vines out for awile before moving them outdoors. Also picked up a heat mat, the growing area is 79 F but the soil temp was only about 70 F.
I'm dying to open the bags and see if they are callousing but I know it's just way too soon.
20200123_130436.jpg 20200123_132048.jpg

They won't callus below about 78F soil temp. No roots until callus, but once you have that callus tissue, the roots will start growing as low as 40F.

I just went through the same on my test samples. Upped the temp 2F on each mat, nothing under 78F callused, but a t 82F it was like magic. 10 days, and ready to pot up.

Where did you get your tree pots? I have just used vinyl downspout cut into 8" lengths.

They won't callus below about 78F soil temp. No roots until callus, but once you have that callus tissue, the roots will start growing as low as 40F.

I just went through the same on my test samples. Upped the temp 2F on each mat, nothing under 78F callused, but a t 82F it was like magic. 10 days, and ready to pot up.

Where did you get your tree pots? I have just used vinyl downspout cut into 8" lengths.

These get mats take 5 hours to get up to temperature. I set the thermostat to 85 and will check it when I get home to see if it's there.
There is a temp probe stuck into the one bag in the center to get temp readings from. Hopefully this works out, if not I have another idea on what to do...
Tree pots can be found here https://www.greenhousemegastore.com/containers-trays/plant-pots/treepots

I opted for the 3" x 8" pots...

I use the same mats. For mine, I took two bath towels and layered over the top to help keep the temperature from fluctuating. Of course, mine are also whip grafted and then callused, so I am healing the graft at the same time.

I use the same mats. For mine, I took two bath towels and layered over the top to help keep the temperature from fluctuating. Of course, mine are also whip grafted and then callused, so I am healing the graft at the same time.

I have a few cab Frank I grafted onto the 101-14 that I'm hoping will take. My rootstock plants are only a year old, so there was not many canes suitable for grafting because of the size difference between the rootstock canes and the cab Frank. But I did get about 25 good cuttings of the rootstock and hope they take.
The back row in the vineyard will be all rootstock when I'm done..
I appreciate the advice, thank you :)

In the mid-Atlantic, the Omega graft is the most reliable. The graft should be waxed with grafting wax. All vinefra should be grafted. I don’t think you will need a lot of rootstock unless you will be selling rootstock for grafting. I have four vines of rootstock and I think that may be too many.

In the mid-Atlantic, the Omega graft is the most reliable. The graft should be waxed with grafting wax. All vinefra should be grafted. I don’t think you will need a lot of rootstock unless you will be selling rootstock for grafting. I have four vines of rootstock and I think that may be too many.

In the grand scheme of things I hope to sell potted vines ready for planting.
I also have my eye on my neighbors 40 acres that might go on the market soon.
I did use an omega graft and just taped them with electric tape. I do have several wax pots and different waxes for investment casting. I wonder if they can be used??

As long as your melting point is below 140, it'll probably work. You want full liquidus at 140 or below, and cold water ready to cool the wax as soon as you dip it.

Usually though I use Parafilm M grafting tape, which requires no wax in many cases, unless I sit down to do a lot of grafts. I struggled with grape grafts last year because of the requirement for hot callusing...other plants I've grafted don't need that warm temp to callus up (or I've never noticed a need for it, anyway!)

So I realized I left out some details.

The grafts I did that are callusing now are Vidal Blanc onto 3309c, and are 1/8" to 3/16" diameter, smaller than will work in most omega tools. A single slash whip graft, no tongue, with a normal swing line stapler staple through the matched up graft. After stapling, taped up with Parafilm, and into the 3:1 mix of perlite and peat moss, moistened up.

Well no problem getting up to 85f :)

A single slash whip graft, no tongue, with a normal swing line stapler staple through the matched up graft.

I thought about stapling the smaller cuttings but then though I was crazy for considering such a thing. Do you have to remove the staple at some point??

I do, but you wouldn't have to, strictly speaking. After the graft is mostly healed I pull the staple by cutting it flush on one side, then pulling the shanks straight through.

I think that when I do this again I will either use grapemans method, or build a box, put the heat mat in, line it with plastic then add 6 or so inches peat perlite mix and stick the cuttings into it upright.

Different methods for different needs. If you are grafting vines, you need to make sure the graft union is at the proper temperature to callus and be sure it doesn't dry out. If just rooting cuttings,anyethods work.

Collie Flowers Farm, you might want to take a class at Piedmont Community College in Charlottesville, VA on grafting. It is on Saturday April 11. I took it last year and it was real good. https://pvcc.augusoft.net/index.cfm...5161&int_category_id=6&int_sub_category_id=41 PVCC has a really great Viticulture program. I know it would be a bit of drive but it is well worth the effort. Gabriele has a grafting box you get to see and he tells you the temps to use. Start high, in the 90s for a week, then decrease...I have the details in my notes.

Collie Flowers Farm, you might want to take a class at Piedmont Community College in Charlottesville, VA on grafting. It is on Saturday April 11. I took it last year and it was real good. https://pvcc.augusoft.net/index.cfm...5161&int_category_id=6&int_sub_category_id=41 PVCC has a really great Viticulture program. I know it would be a bit of drive but it is well worth the effort. Gabriele has a grafting box you get to see and he tells you the temps to use. Start high, in the 90s for a week, then decrease...I have the details in my notes.

Yes, I'm afraid that is just too far of a ride for me. But I do plan on attending.....
https://www.facebook.com/173249636064008/posts/2566620550060226/

I've watched several videos on grafting, just have never done it before until now. I think I mostly just need to develop how I go about doing things. Like finding out the bagged up vines were not getting up to the needed temp for callousing and having to make adjustments to the way I do things. Next year I'll be more prepared:)

When I took the cuttings for callousing I stuck some smaller canes into a pot just to see what would happen. I dont know if they are actually going to root, but they are starting to push buds.
Time will tell....
20200127_133109.jpg

Latest posts

Back