New vineyard, could use help with disease ID

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
I planted 126 vines this spring, majority Vidal and Norton, but also about 10 each Foch, Frontenac, Chardonel, and Traminette, 8' x 10'. Right or wrong, I was under the impression I didn't need to spray this first year. I did spray a few times for Japanese Beetles, but that was about it.

The majority of the vines look fine and they've grown well. I have a handful of spots where I'm seeing some problems. I have some ideas here but I thought I would post and see if I could confirm the issue.

1 & 2 are phomopsis?
3 some kind of aphid? that only likes Traminette
4 is ? few older central leaves only (Vidal)
5 is ? few older central leaves only (Foch)

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

It is important to know that different varieties may display symptoms of the same disease in different ways. Thus, even if having lesions on the stems on one variety, and spots on the leafs of another, it may be the same disease (except when it is not -- confusing, eh?)

That being said, I would say the first two photos are probably black rot. Maybe Anthracnose.

The last two photos are more difficult. Especially to help get an ID, both the upper and under side of the leaf should be examined since different diseases have different appearances on each surface.

The forth photo shows quite a bit of insect damage on the dying leafs. That may be causal or just contributing. But if the the brown parts are fungal in nature, I would say it "looks" more like downy mildew. But could also be from late stage necrosis from Botrytis.

The fifth photo I would say (more guess) either downy mildew or Botrytis.

Regarding aphids -- they are funny critters in general. Next year they may just take a liking to your Frontenac.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back