New vines for coastal RI

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, I hope spring finds you well.
This year I have decided to turn a large garden area in my backyard to a backyard vineyard. I live on Aquidneck island in RI steps from the Skonnet river (ocean) on the east side of the island with full exposure to sun all day. I am finding mixed information on what varietals to grow in this unique climate, almost like LI, NY. I’m a huge fan of Pinot noir and Sauvignon Blanc but hear it could be very challenging to grow. Most vineyards around here grow a lot of Cab Franc with some Pinot and Cab Sauvignon mixed in, not sure on their success here though with these.

If anyone from the area has any suggestions or tips that would be great. I’d love to grow Pinot and Sauvignon Blanc but if it’s not realistic I could settle for franc and Vidal.

Last edited:
Lucky you, being so close to the ocean and its moderating effect on temperatures! We started a vineyard in central MA last year. We're still newbies so I don't have a whole lot to offer, but I will say one thing, since you mention you like Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc. Those are two of my favorites as well, but I wouldn't even think of trying to grow them here. Down your way they may or may not survive, but I doubt they would thrive or ripen grapes like you want them to. Have you considered hybrid alternatives? We put in 50 Marquette vines and over the past few years have taken every opportunity we can to try other wineries' Marquette. It's a REALLY good alternative to Pinot. With a couple years of age, I'd be hard pressed to tell a good Marquette from a comparably priced Burgundy. As for whites, there are plenty of good whites that grow well here in the Northeast. Have you tried Seyval Blanc? It's a nice alternative to Sauvignon Blanc - beautiful crisp acidity, plenty of aroma, often finished with just a hint of residual sweetness...

Ron, I have to agree with you. I went to the local vineyard here down the street to try their Pinot noir and I really don’t think it does well here. I will have to try to find a Marquette and Seyval Blanc to try out.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Latest posts

Back