New vines - Are these flower clusters?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjgaul

Carboy Addict
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I planted a small vineyard this spring. 26 vines in 3 rows. I decided to go with a lot of diversity and see what works. I figure that several of the reds and whites could be readily blended or even co-fermented until I have sufficient volume. The first pic shows the list of what is in the ground in central NY, just north of the Finger Lakes. Everything is growing nicely, but it looks to me like I have lots of flower clusters forming and I believe these should all be removed. The pictures show several different vines which have what I think are the clusters.

Let me know if these are actually flowers and if they should be pinched off. Will the vines continue to set flowers once these are pinched or should one round of removal do the trick?

Any advice is welcome.

list.JPG

Clusters.jpg

Yes, they are flower clusters (inflorescence for the technical term).

And yes, pinch them off in the first year. And I highly recommend next year as well for the vinifera. I have no experience with non-vinifera vines or hybrids so others should give advise on those.

I guess I was surprised at how many clusters appeared on vines that are in their first year and aren't even a foot tall yet. I will be pinching them off this evening.

The only thing that seems to require more patience than kit winemaking is starting a vineyard from scratch. At least it gives me a couple years to build up a bigger inventory of carboys!

Thanks,
Tim

Yes they are flowers and pinch the flower buds this year and next. Good luck:h

Not so much this year but for next year have a spray regiment worked up. For both pests and for fungus

Latest posts

Back