New Vacuum on order

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryjpowell

Reaction score
I thought I'd see what the Enlomatic would do in terms of degassing, but it doesn't pull near enought vac. So I just ordered a Mobilaire aspirator 800ccit was a good price on amazon so I'll post how it works for me when it comes in. This is the supposed picture, guess I'll find the right tubing etc.
20100317_141902_INVIRC1135.jpg

Here is a picture of one of them I got from ebay. You should be satisfied.

20100317_145225_100_3636_Medium.jpg

Here is another picture of it with no extra hoses degassing. Only got an orange cap to do it. I have other setups for racking, filtering and bottling.

20100317_145410_100_3652_Medium.jpg

Here is one for racking from a 20 gallon barrel into carboys.
20100317_145758_RacktoCarboys.jpg

Excellent pic. Did the hose in the pic come with it or did you acquire that separately, esp the green connectors?? I can't wait I have always used the fiz x ona drill and it just always seems to be a bit gassy..

What you see in the first picture is what it came with. I have other tubes for it, but that one works good with the orange cap fecause the green connector has a bit of flex in it.

Harry is a pic of mine racking a wine and appleman started this craze on these sights pretty much but I think Tim Vandergrift may have initially go the ball rolling when he authored an article in Winemaker Mag about how he grabbed a Gomco unit from a Morgue and had it reconditioned for degassing the kit wines. Tim is the product Tech for Winexpert kits.
2-2.jpg

I picked up one of the Invacare units and tried it out for the first time recently both transferring and degassing. Wow, how easy is this. The question I have for those that have been using this is the amount of vacuum. Mine onlypulls 18.5" vacuum. Will that do a sufficient job degassing? With my old brake bleeder I was going to 20-21". Can you leave this unit pumping away at 18.5 for long or will it overheat?

I dont have that one so cant tell you if it will over heat nor do i do it that way anyhow. 18.5 is all that is needed aand I stop when mine can hold around 17" for a 1/2 hour.

so how long does it take to degas a 6 gallon carboy with one of these whatchamacallits (pump)?

Rarely will you need more than 5-10 minutes of pumping. I usually pump for 2-4 minutes, let it sit for a few then do it again until the bubbles go from small bubbles to larger. At that point you can consider it done. That is plenty of vacuum to do the job.

I do like appleman but mine will hold a vacuum so Ill shut it off and if after that 1/2 an hour it has gone below 16 then I run it again and shut it off and check 1/2 hour later to see where it is.

I start at 18 cm of vacuum until it bubbling slows down (usually about 5 minutes then increase it to 20 (5 minutes) and finally 22 for (you guessed it) 5 minutes and that pretty much gets it all out..................

Are there any States that have 220v? I really want to get one to help me rack and degas my wine, although the only models I have seem to found are 110v and really need a 220v version :/

I would talk to an electrician or a electrical motor repair place and see if the motor can be wound for that voltage or just rewired for that voltage.

How about just a converter like the ones we use when we go over to the UK on holiday? Drops 220 down to 110v.

@ ibglowin - I'm not sure if that would work dude - I have one for my thermocapsuler I got in the states last year - it only converts 220v down to 110v not 110v up, and the transformers I've seen are no less than the equiv. of $150.

@ wade - sounds good, I'll check that option out.

Missed it. Im not sure we are on the same page as you with electrical. I though you were looking for a 110v version of this pump. The encapsular you have you converted 220 down to 110 so why cant you just keep 110 on this.

I bought the encapsuler as a 220v. What I meant by coverting 220v down to 110v is the travel adapter :D.

Latest posts

Back