New twist

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmadmikes1

smart @$$
Reaction score
It came to me in a dream(ya right) I have been bulk aging in corny keg lately. Today, with temps at about 25, I move some blackberry out side to cold crash it. I brought it back in and transferred it to a corny keg. Cornys draw off the bottom so after it sets long enough I hook up the hoses and I will be able to draw off sediment and acid crystal from bottom. I cant see what is happening in the keg but I know what is happening. I am moving my Cab Sauv out there today too

Sounds workable to me. Let us know how it goes.

I don't have any kegs. I like to cold stabilize in Better Bottles, so I don't have to worry so much about cracking a glass carboy.

I dont think it would pull too much of the stuff off the bottom. I have beer that has dropped quite a bit of sediment in the cornies and it never pulls any of that stuff up until Im drawing that last beer out of the keg.

Mike, it's a great idea but I don't think it'll work. I'll tell you why. When I rack from 300-2000 gallon tanks and pull from the bottom instead of the racking valve I do pull some sedement but then a whirlpool like effect happens and I start pulling good wine. I have to be careful though because everytime I turn the pump on or off the initial start up is always some sediment and I have to blow that off before allowing the good wine to go into the new tank.

i dont know much about the kegs you are talking about...but i agree w the view to not do what you are doing...why not flip the keg over next time so that sediment goes to the top ( now on the bottom) and then you place hose into the bottom (the new top)

this is all especially more important because as you say you cannot see what is occurring

the cornys have a valve to pressurize with co2 at top and draw tube from bottom. Turning them over would never work and no chance of a whirlpool effect because I drw way to slow and an under pressure. I put a tube into valve and bottle out of them as well. The tube allows me to fill from bottom of bottle avoiding O2. I draw out 1 glass and the wine runs clear after that. BTW they are outside in freezing weather as we speak
Wade I draw it out at 2 pounds pressure and when I draw beer out it is at 10.

Latest posts

Back