New Trellis System

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larryh86GT

Reaction score
These are my new trellis systems I put in this fall. The old trellis posts were 4 x 4's with post stakes. They held up for 6 or 7 years on my 2 Marquis vines and maybe 4 years on my 3 Reliance vines but eventually the post stakes became too loose in the ground. The new end posts are cemented in 3 foot down and angled out a bit. The 2 vines have a staked post in the center with the cables running through eyebolts and the cables are about 22' long. The 3 vines trellis cables are about 31' long and I have 2 staked posts between the vines with eyebolts that the cables run through. I have turnbuckles on each cable. I think this system should work better.
:b
Larry
Trellis 11-26-17 (1).JPG Trellis 11-26-17 (4).JPG

I would add a t-post to each vine. fasten the vine to the post it will keep the trunk straight and also help release pressure on the trellis.

The first time I looked at this, my eyes were fooled into thinking the wagon wheels were part of the system. Old eyes I guess.

In hindsight, it may have been wise to put a bit more lean into the end posts, but it is hard to tell from the pics. That cement should really help. If you have an problems, you could always add an anchor to the ends.

H

Back