New Trellis Design

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinb

Reaction score
My new grapes have arrived and Im ready to get them planted. I have a mix of Marquette, Petite Pearl, and Itasca.

Im designing my trellis and want to put it in when I plant the vines so I dont tear it up later. I am planning on spacing the vines 8' apart with rows 10' apart. Is this correct?

Im a little tight on room. How close from the end posts can I plant the first vine? How close should I put the posts that sit in the row? My total length of rows is around 100'.

Sounds like my layout, FWIW. I installed this year and after researching, I went with 144' rows, vines 8' apart, rows 10' apart. It has turned out to be good spacing for mowing, driving the truck down the rows, etc. My first vine is 4' from the end post, figuring 4' cordons both ways. I used inline T posts every 16' (every 2 vines).

8 by 10 down to about 6 by 9 will work fine for those varieties depending on the soil fertility and drainage of the area.

Latest posts

Back