New to wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewWinerHerbs

Junior
Reaction score
Hello I am new to wine making. I have assisted some friends and heard talks from many vineyard owners. I would like to make some wine from my plentiful herb garden. I have mint and lemon balm that I would like to try first. I am curious to whether I can steep my fresh herbs and freeze the "tea" to make with next month. Or should I simply dry or freeze the herbs and store in an air tight container until next month when I will have more time. I need to prune my herbs BAD. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed. Thanks

Welcome to our forum. I myself havent made any wine from herbs but others have and will chime in especially if you ask some q's in the wine making area.

Hello!
I just finished fermenting a mint wine (now just starting the clearing process). I froze the mint first (because I didn't have the time to make it as well) and it didn't seem to change to smell of the mint at all. Some of it just turned a little brown. Now that it is clearing it is more of a light yellow-ish/green-ish color. It doesn't look too brown or swampy. Obviously it isn't finished yet, so I can't comment on the final taste, but it smelled awful while fermenting! Hopefully it tastes better when it's done. Good luck!

Hello and welcome to the forum. I have not made any herb wine myself but you might want to check out Jack kellers site, as he has made everything under the sun.

Welcome to the forums!

20110703_131806_kgo_057.gif

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your herb wine.

Welcome :) I have made basil wine it's the only one I can't drink alone but its AWESOME for cooking :) Will be trying tea mint after I harvest enough herbs:) GL Zoogie

I can't answer you question about care of your herbs, but I have made several wines from flowers and herbs. Be aware that the "average" wine drinker often has trouble fully appreciating the effort because it is so new to their palate. My herbal wines work well for cooking and marinating, but they aren't as enjoyable to drink as fruit wines in my opinion. I'm sure there are groups of people who really would enjoy a glass of these specialty wines, I think they're just harder to find.

Back