New to Wine Making - Kit Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the Cellar Craft Showcase Chateau du Pays two years ago now, and was surprised by how good it was right after bottling. And it's only getting better.

I made the Cellar Craft Showcase Chateau du Pays two years ago now, and was surprised by how good it was right after bottling. And it's only getting better.
This one was definitely a winner. Unfortunately it looks to be discontinued. :(

If you have access to Costco they have an Argentina coast amarone which is excellent for the money. It's a 23l kit that you don't have to add water which is nice, however I'm 99% sure it reconstituted. In either case it's excellent for the money and only needs minor tweaking. The 7l Argentina coast kits are decent for the money as well, great for carboy topping, company that overstay their welcome and quick wine that needs little aging while still be palatable.

kuziwk, have you made the CC Showcase Amarone by any chance? I just bottled that one but would like to know your opinion on the Costco Argentina Coast. It has great reviews on the Costco website. Some people compared it to a $18 bottle of commercial wine. Would you agree? At $100 per kit it sounds like a great deal!

kuziwk, have you made the CC Showcase Amarone by any chance? I just bottled that one but would like to know your opinion on the Costco Argentina Coast. It has great reviews on the Costco website. Some people compared it to a $18 bottle of commercial wine. Would you agree? At $100 per kit it sounds like a great deal!

I haven't tried the CC amarone, however the Costco amarone is very good for the money. I age for 4-6 weeks on additional oak cubes, and really the wine needs 3-6 months of age time. I also add a good tablespoon of powder wine tannin. As far as $18 a bottle i would agree, as it's definately up there. The corks the give are pretty cheap though, I wouldnt use them to age for years.

I haven't tried the CC amarone, however the Costco amarone is very good for the money. I age for 4-6 weeks on additional oak cubes, and really the wine needs 3-6 months of age time. I also add a good tablespoon of powder wine tannin. As far as $18 a bottle i would agree, as it's definately up there. The corks the give are pretty cheap though, I wouldnt use them to age for years.

I did not even know Costco had wine kits.

I agree with @cmason1957 that some reds are designed to need less age, like the Beaujolais style.

I also find some lower-cost blends to be okay quicker, like a super Tuscan or luna rossa or mezza luna red.

Amarone is not an early-drinker though. Seems to take longer to come around...

I agree with @cmason1957 that some reds are designed to need less age, like the Beaujolais style.

I also find some lower-cost blends to be okay quicker, like a super Tuscan or luna rossa or mezza luna red.

Amarone is not an early-drinker though. Seems to take longer to come around...

It's amarone style though...not a true amarone, I'm surprised they have not had a lawsuit yet over their marketing. Even the CC amarone (which I've yet to try) says amarone style. At any rate the Costco one is actually very good to drink early and works well to save your more costly kits, better with aging though as it starts to lose that mild kit taste or raisin flavor that is subtle but evident...likely due to the dried currents they give in the kit. I've seen a cab sav from the same line from Costco (the 23l kit that you don't add water), however i never got a chance to try it since they sold out and never brought it back.

Back