New to Vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
Just planted 6 Cab vines in my yard that has a sprinkler system for the grass. I have it on 15 minutes in the AM and 15 minutes in the PM. Is that too much or too little for freshly planted grafted vines?

It all depends where you are, and climatic conditions, soil type, zone, etc. If it were me, I wouldn’t want to keep getting the leaves wet every morning and evening. Mildew and rot love moisture. Drip would be better. Also, the sprinklers will wash off, or dilute your disease control sprays.
Since these are new plantings, I would give each vine 1/2 gal/day, gradually increasing as they become more developed. Once they are 3 years old you can start letting some clusters grow. At that point you’ll need more precision in watering. Sparky Marquis of MollyDooker has an excellent watering strategy. See it here:Marquis Watering strategy
Soil type is also a consideration for drainage.

I followed the directions and sunk them into the ground up to the graft and put a mound up to the shoots - Why? If I just put the roots in and it sprouted shoots below the graft would I have two different types of grapes?

The mounding is only to protect the graft union over winter In the first and second year. Leave no more than 2” of rootstock above ground from spring through fall. Then mound again to overwinter.
If the scion is in the ground it, will develop its own roots which is exactly what you want to avoid. It’s doubtful that you will have two grape types as generally the rootstock buds were removed. I also have grafted vines from AA. They say to to bury to rootstock to within no more than 2” below the graft union. If the rootstock begins shooting, break them off/cut them. The only thing that you want to shoot is the scion.

Latest posts

Back