New to real fruit wines...smell

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Smok1

Reaction score
Ok so i have quite a few kits under my belt and typically have 3 primarys going at once, as i do now, but i satrted a batch af dragons blood yestersay double fruit, and the smell in my house is crazy, from kits i can say i ussually think its a good smell but this is over powering, i followed the instructions feom dangerdave, except i used k1-1116 instead of the ec-1118, is thos normal? This batch is fermenting like a beast. I never made a batch of real fruit wine before and just wondering if this is how 20 cups of white sugar smells like when it ferments, and if so is it gonna make a tasty wine

It went from 1.080 to 1.062 in first 24 hours, basically looks like its boiling in there

Last edited:

FTC Wines

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Smok1, I have the same experience with a "super charged" fermentation every once in a while. You should be fine, watch the SG I have had batches go dry in 5 days or less. You didn't mention the temp, if it's real high try cooling it a little. Roy

pip

Reaction score
It may start to slow down once it gets under 1.020 or so. A recent batch of cherry went from 1.120 to 1.090 in 24 hours and then to 1.040 after 4 days. It then took another 10 days to reach dry. So, from my experience, i'd say it's normal.

Smok1

Reaction score
Ok thanks, temp is 74f.

Last edited:

Latest posts