New To MLF Test Advice

Discussion in 'Yeast, Additives & Wine Making Science' started by Mac60, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Mac60

Mac60 Member

I have been making wine for about 10 years and this year I finally decided to get on the path to better consistent wine making, Hence MLF testing.
    I have attached my first MLF test this is 2 weeks since racking of the gross lees
    I added Chris Hansen's Malolactic culture vinfiora Oenos right after racking off the gross lees that was 2 weeks ago. Looks like I have a way to go.
    The Zin is in 60 gallon VC Stainless Tank and the Cab is in a 39 Gallon VC stainless tank with air locks, there does not appear to be anything going on with either of them. Room temp is 70 degrees. I have not added So2 since my initial into the must at crush. What advice can you give me, just wait another 2 weeks and test again? Should I add So2, my guess is to wait for the malic acid not show up on the test.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. stickman

stickman Veteran Winemaker

It looks like ML is moving along, don't add sulfite yet, I would say you are correct with testing again in 2 weeks.

3. Johnd

Johnd Middle Aged Member Supporting Member

The occasional stirring may help move it along. Once you get a clear test, give it two more weeks before sulfiting.

Boatboy24 likes this.
  4. Mac60

Mac60 Member

Thanks Stickman & Johnd, I really appreciate your feedback.

Johnd likes this.
  5. Mac60

Mac60 Member

4 weeks into MLF another test shows the Cab is just about completed but the Zin doesn't look like its moved in 2 weeks any thoughts or suggestions, let it go another 2 weeks? and test again, Room temp is 70, I have stirred one per week, PH is 3.65 no sulfate since initial dose before primary AF

Attached Files:

6. Johnd

Johnd Middle Aged Member Supporting Member

You're right on track with the Cab, another 2 weeks and you can sulfite and move forward. Funny how some wines react, treated at the same time, same conditions, same protocols, and one struggles. Merlot is renowned for it's stubbornness, but not zinfandel, at least not that I've heard of. Keep up the stirring, it's been what, 30 days or so? Sometimes they take months, more of a marathon than a sprint.

7. Mac60

Mac60 Member

Thanks for the response John, I do tend to get inpatient, especially when I see the Cabs just about done.
    Mike

8. stickman

stickman Veteran Winemaker

Before sulfiting the Cab, you might consider pulling a gallon out of each tank, and put the Cab in the Zin and the Zin in the Cab. With your volumes a gallon won't affect flavor, but the transfer of some of the acclimated bacteria from the Cab may help the Zin move along.

Johnd likes this.
  9. Mac60

Mac60 Member

Tested the MLF after another 2 weeks Cab is good to put to sleep in the oak barrel, I'm thinking another few weeks for the zin. What do you think?

Attached Files:

Johnd likes this.
  10. Ajmassa5983

Ajmassa5983 Member Supporting Member

So How good did that feel to finally see on the Zin?!

I'd still wait on the cab too. At least couple weeks. I just recently had a test showing 2 wines complete, but checked with MLF test strips that give results in g/L and one was 30g/L the other 150g/L.

Mac60 likes this.
  11. Mac60

Mac60 Member

Yes indeed feels good to see progress...Yeah I'm planing on letting it progress for another 2-4 weeks
    Thanks.

12. Boatboy24

Boatboy24 No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Looking good. As already said, give 'em a couple more weeks. I like to wait until the chromatography shows complete (as your Cab does), then go a week or two after that.

Mac60 likes this.
  13. Mac60

Mac60 Member

Yes Finally Looks like we are complete for both Cab and Zins. I'm planning on racking and getting both protected with S02 Cab will go in Oak Barrel, Zins with be in VC SS Tank, took 11 weeks to complete P1060273.JPG

stickman and Boatboy24 like this.